Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forgotten Beast FPS Wierdness  (Read 992 times)

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beast FPS Wierdness
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »

I've got a setup where I use doors to slow down FB's while they munched by a repeating spike field. The first 3 it polished off with no trouble, but on the forth it cuts my FPS roughly in half whenever the FB is first hit and it doesn't go up even when it is dead and its corpse atom-smashed. I've save-scummed to generate probably 10 FB's and it works the same way each time even with totally different beasts. I'm very much at a loss and wonder if this is some sort of bug. I hate to abandon the fort I have worked on for weeks but the difference between nearly 40 and barely 15 FPS is pretty severe. Any ideas?  :-\
Memento Mori

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beast FPS Wierdness
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:35:42 am »

It's clearly some sort of bug yes, but as to how to fix it... my only suggestion is to get Runesmith and use its ability to kill it as soon as the creature appears (no corpse or blood is left from this) and see if that prevents the FPS loss.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:38:50 am »

I dealt with it by walling off the cavern layer it was in, but I'll try that since I'd sooner be able to go there. Should I upload a save for bugfixing purposes before I get rid of it or would it not be worthwhile for something so rare?
Memento Mori

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:54:49 am »

I've got a setup where I use doors to slow down FB's while they munched by a repeating spike field. The first 3 it polished off with no trouble, but on the forth it cuts my FPS roughly in half whenever the FB is first hit and it doesn't go up even when it is dead and its corpse atom-smashed. I've save-scummed to generate probably 10 FB's and it works the same way each time even with totally different beasts. I'm very much at a loss and wonder if this is some sort of bug. I hate to abandon the fort I have worked on for weeks but the difference between nearly 40 and barely 15 FPS is pretty severe. Any ideas?  :-\

Maybe it has some kind of deadly blood or dust or something like that?  I'd run dfcleanmap after killing it and see if you get your FPS back.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:01:02 am »

Doors are known to cause some FPS issues due to pathing, though this particular bug may not have to do with that. Have you tried removing the doors after the beast died? Using dfcleanmap is another thing to test, as mentioned.

When you said:

The first 3 it polished off with no trouble, but on the forth it cuts my FPS roughly in half whenever the FB is first hit and it doesn't go up even when it is dead and its corpse atom-smashed.

Do you mean that, when the FB was knocking down the first three doors, it was not being hit by spikes? "... whenever the FB is first hit" - by spike traps when it reached the fourth door? If just being spike trapped is causing the freeze, that implicates different game mechanics than if instead it's a particular set of door(s) and spike trap(s).

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:06 pm »

Sorry, it was late and I was probably unclear. I meant I had killed 3 FB's before without incident. The doors destroyed seem to be unimportant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is what it looks like, except that where the wall plugging it is there used to be 2 doors. In my save-scumming I've killed FB's before they knocked down the first door and after they got the first two with no apparent difference. I am pretty sure it is the spike traps hitting the beast that are the culprit.
Memento Mori