Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4 DF Suggestions  (Read 889 times)

radkid1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
4 DF Suggestions
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:30:58 pm »

1  A cap Dwarf pop so player set cap Dwarfs in  Fortress one time so game will not lock up you up to 300+ dwarfs
2  A dwarf tells do work dwarfs player will not need tell all 180 dwarfs do stuff so cut work load on player
3  cut the cost skill points for dwarf you set up Dwarf Fortress and cut cost points for cows and sheep and hunting/war dogs
4 make it work on 4cpus
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:34:40 pm by radkid1 »

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Re: 4 DF Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:45:48 pm »

1  A cap Dwarf pop so player set cap Dwarfs in  Fortress one time so game will not lock up you up to 300+ dwarfs
Already done - look in /data/init/d_init.txt
2  A dwarf tells do work dwarfs player will not need tell all 180 dwarfs do stuff so cut work load on player
This would be problematic - what if a dwarf tells another dwarf to build a workshop in your aqueduct for example?
3  cut the cost skill points for dwarf you set up Dwarf Fortress and cut cost points for cows and sheep and hunting/war dogs
Why? To make it easier? I admit - having a variable point cap at the start would be useful, but still...
Also - dogs are already the cheapest source of meat, if I remember correctly. Making them cheaper would horribly break the game, methinks...
4 make it work on 4cpus
We all wish for multi-core support... And 64-bit support... And proformance enhancements... and... and...
He is making this game by himself, after all...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »

2: Read that. Think "Can anyone else understand this?". Rewrite it.

3: That's already done. You can change the total number of starting points in the world generator settings. You have to make a new, custom world, then up the "embark points" value.

4: That's not easy to do, and has been requested before.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:05 pm »

Already done - look in /data/init/d_init.txt

If he's getting 300 dwarves than there's some kind of error with the population cap, because the default maximum is 200 dwarves.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:42:52 pm »

I've never noticed setting a pop-cap actually working, so...
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:47:59 pm »

This would be problematic - what if a dwarf tells another dwarf to build a workshop in your aqueduct for example?

It might be workable if such auto-created buildings could only be constructed within specific zones designated by the player (as per "SimCity 2000", "SimCity 3000", and "Afterlife")
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:33:51 pm »

If he's getting 300 dwarves than there's some kind of error with the population cap, because the default maximum is 200 dwarves.
Plus a hundred kids.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.