Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I get those siegers away from my fort?  (Read 1157 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
How do I get those siegers away from my fort?
« on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:47 am »

I have a fort I wanna reclaim, but everytime I do so, those goblins are STILL THERE.
They murder my dwarves.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get those siegers away from my fort?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 03:19:26 am »

Embark with armor and weapons, instantly make a squad, and fight them.  Repeat as needed.  Bonus points: When you DO manage to reclaim, you'll have a ton of armor laying about :D

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 03:32:58 am »

I tried.
They didn't use their weapons and armor for some reason and they were killed easily.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:38:48 am »

Then you didn't make a proper squad.  I've done this before, if you actually make a squad and work with it, then they'll equip and fight.  If you just drop a dwarf and some armor on the field, then yeah, they'll get cut up.  Gotta DO something.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 03:46:55 am »

Try to do it as follows: get skilled dwarves and weapons, and a few axes and picks and a few rocks and food and booze--immediately dig under and build a tiny burrow, seal it off after moving the wagon indoors. Set up a mini-fort, which does nothing but train--when migrants come, either ignore them, (there's more where that came from) or draft them (via tunnel from bolt hold).

The time to strike is caravan time-before dwarves come build a cheap depot closer to the center of the map (or if visible reclaim old depot) make it underground and when the dwarf guards show, open up a path to the depot and help your bretheren clean up the goblins.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 05:10:18 am »

I've had problems where if the enemy comes too close they ignore the equipment and run off the wrestle them instead. Try stationing them next to the wagon for a minute until they pick up their stuff, then give the order to attack.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 07:08:57 am »

Try taking them out in adventurer mode. One thing you could try to make it easier is to embark a new fort nearby, dig down to the ampersand plugs, and make a suit of shiny blue armour and weapons, then abandon the fort. Have your adventurer pick up the blue stuff, and then attack the goblins. Then, possibly remembering to leave the blue stuff behind in your fort, and reclaim.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:01:16 am »

Actually, if you go in with some wrestling and ambush skill, you can probably sneak up on one of them, wrestle their weapon away (wrestle - grab with hand, then take a step away), then kill them with their own weapon.  Keep using that weapon, or repeat and snag more weapons as you kill.  Also agility will help.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »

Yeah, Adventurer Mode is probably the easiest/funnest way to go about it.  Make yourself a nice demigod character, maybe use another fort to deck yourself out, and then cleanse your old embark.

As a quicktip, you can raise your Ambushing to max by just entering sneak mode and wandering around for a long time; Once you're legendary, you can pretty much walk up to enemies and decapitate them and they'll never notice you.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 04:02:10 pm »

I do that normally.  Demigod with ambush, strength, agility, and toughness.  Just Sneak up to a goblin, grab his leg, break it, and then punch his head or steal his weapon and hack his head off, while he's on the ground.