Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin ambushes have stopped  (Read 813 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Goblin ambushes have stopped
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:26:00 am »

So one year ago in my current 31.21 fortress, my embark metalworker and embark miner, were kicking goblin ass and taking names. Gleefully helped by goblin loyalty cascades that simplified work. (Well the miner did killed a forgotten beast, that's why he got it's name). I am smelting the large amounts of goblinite and selling the troll fur crap to the caravans.

Miner is called Ushrir Priestwhipped the Depression of Lovers (not the best name really), metalworker is called Kib Tautsword the Mortification of Searing (much cooler). Both legendary fighters.

Now there have been no ambushes for 4 seasons and i have no idea why the hell are the goblins not coming back. Maybe it's because I have now 23 dwarves only ? (I never had more than 30 anyways) Or it's that loyalty cascade problem ? I had loyalty cascades in 2 ambush waves already, and they kill off most of the waves.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin ambushes have stopped
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:29:57 am »

Well, they're back.

Yet another loyalty cascade happened, and now I only have a lasher and a marksgoblin remaining.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:31:29 am »

And they both fled. Great.

Oh well, more goblinite for me.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:36:02 am »

Instead of triple posting, edit the first post.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:59:47 am »

How do loyalty cascades happen among goblins?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 12:04:09 pm »

Goblins appear on the map and start a civil war. A few survive (say 1/4 max) and get trashed by my military.

Oh, and gobbos started to attack again.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:20:25 pm »

I guess Armok made gobbos in your world with Alzheimer. Really, they keep forgetting who to attack.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39:29 pm »

It's a bug having to do with historical figure squad leaders who are not properly tagged as part of their civ subgroup. Gobbies turn on their officer, other gobbies see the attack and flag them as enemies, and so on - cascade.

Bug report is here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3685

In .18, my loyalty cascades eventually stopped and started getting regular sieges/ambushes a few years later (I guess they killed off all the bugged historical figures).

I think you can trigger more cascades if before you embark you play an adventurer that interacts with the goblins (killing them or being killed by them) in the same area as your embark, as that produces more historical figures.