Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interrogation is somewhat overpowered?  (Read 1252 times)

jerank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interrogation is somewhat overpowered?
« on: March 20, 2011, 09:37:31 am »

Okay, on my newest game I decided to explore the potential of sleeper agents to a degree I had never previously attempted. I got my founder up to around nine psycology, and recruited three psychologists. After getting them all up to Liberal Guardian, I recruited a high-charisma prostitute and trained her up in covert operations until her disguise skill was high. Now that she could seduce high-end conservative swine, I sent her out to the Nuclear Powerplant and seduced a Scientist. On the date I kidnapped him and immediately set my interrogators to work on him. After two beatings from a Deathsquad Uniform equipped team he was at 1 wisdom after starting with around 17. After two more sessions of 'attempt to recruit', he was enlightened. My combined psychology score for this attempt was around fifteen, seventeen by the time the conservative was enlightened.

About three months later I have sleeper agents in every single building in the entire game, all enlightened, most with at least 85% effectiveness. By now it takes only about one beating session to lower a conversative to 1 wisdom, and normally around two or three attempts to recruit before his Heart skyrockets and he repents. My three interrogators now have a combined psychology score of about 30, and an equal ammount of Pursuasion. Is this kind of game just a little too easy? I think if I disbanded now, my sleepers would advocate liberalism to the point they'd win all by themselves.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Interrogation is somewhat overpowered?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:41:12 am »

It's still quite an achievement to reach what you said. I had no patience for that :P.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »

If you know what you're doing, this game is very easy. For example, I recruited three agents with persuasion  (had to talk to a lot more, but still - agents!). I spend my time with a single squad of people wielding M16s. I sometimes raid the police station if I want to avoid their raid, but most of the time I fight them and make thousands of dollars of profit from it (as well as boosting my skills). I have sixteen pages of sleepers (the last not quite empty - 142 sleepers all up) and counting, which I obtained from persuasion or seduction and then beating the CCS (which gives a juice boost to all sleepers and active members) and having them recruit (agents in particular are practically unstoppable - each one can recruit another agent right out of the box).

In fact, the only thing I have any trouble with is interrogation. That's because I'm playing in 4.02.3, where business and religion are governed by wisdom. So far I've only conducted three interrogations before they became "missing", and one of those was a fluke (10 days or something). Before I switched to the M16 squad I could stealth past guard dogs pretty reliably. I haven't bothered with disguise so far, since it isn't effective with weapons and stealth covers non-weapon stuff pretty well.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:44:59 am »

Can someone tell me how effective different outfits are for interrogation, since even with high Psychology it takes me awhile.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 01:16:27 am »

A little while ago, there was a post that laid out exactly how each outfit affected the interrogation role.

Unfortunately, I can't find it.

However, it was roughly summarized on the bottom of this page of the wiki.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 06:55:02 am »

Interrogation/torture/conversion is pretty good, but its also a lot of work. I wouldn't call it anything approaching overpowered. The the multiple-person bonus for beatings seems to be a bit high.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 11:53:06 am »

I am ALWAYS a day too late in converting the CEO.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Svirfneblim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:41 am »

Interrogation and conversion is very powerful. My thoughts about limiting it without making it less fun would be:
 - limit the amount of enlightened recruits a person can control the same way recruits and love slaves are limited. This way you won't be able to just make a few super-brainwashers and make whole armies of converts and your sleeper network will be costlier to support. You'll have to choose who to enlightend and how to use them.
 - sleepers enlightened as to qualify for rehabilitation would be unhinged enough that if they'd spend too much time laying low they'd have to start promoting liberalism or taking direct action. Also, promoting liberalism would be illegal under C+ speech laws and could get a sleeper fired from certain jobs depending on other issues. (typically you'd need to get the issue to M to have no chance of getting fired for your beliefs). Fired sleepers could remain sleepers with 'political activist' or 'transient' proffesions and no special advantage. This would make it harder to 'turtle' and 'farm' sleepers for a grand sweep in the end and make a conservative society even more dangerous.
 - sleepers promoting liberalism could get targeted by CCS if CCS would be very strong. A raid per month would keep CCS from doing that, otherwise, you'd have a monthly chance of losing a sleeper or a number of them.