Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deserted Island Succession  (Read 1948 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Deserted Island Succession
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:06:50 pm »

Would anybody be interested in a deserted island succession game? Also, does anybody know any world gen parameters or cookbook things or whatever to have an embark that can have water on all sides? Thanks in advance...
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Deserted Island Succession
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:43:23 pm »

You can always import a noise generation into PerfectWorldDF with an appropriate water level. You might get lucky with that.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:38:12 pm »

You can always import a noise generation into PerfectWorldDF with an appropriate water level. You might get lucky with that.
This seems like the way, you should be able to raise/lower land in such a way that you end up with 'island surrounded by water'-embarks, and juggle the other parameters such that you end up with a desert island somewhere.  But can you embark on a 'disconnected' island like that?

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:53:13 pm »

You can, however, there won't be any caravan trade or sieges which limits the 'fun' of that.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:11:17 pm »

I'd play.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 11:25:06 pm »

You can, however, there won't be any caravan trade or sieges which limits the 'fun' of that.

The title kinda makes that sound like a goal.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 11:28:32 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=14.0  <--- Here's the forum for succession games, please move this there.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:43:45 am »

Now I can't get this thing to work for the life of me. I never was good at these utility things... :(

And don't worry, I'll start the thread in community games when the succession starts proper
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:24:38 am »

The title kinda makes that sound like a goal.
In that case:
What about seiges!? They're almost literally, like, the only reason I play DF! I suppose a succession game without them would have more of a minecraft-y creative mode feel to it, and I'm not sure if I like that.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:54:51 pm »

Now I can't get this thing to work for the life of me. I never was good at these utility things... :(

And don't worry, I'll start the thread in community games when the succession starts proper
That's how I'm doing things as well for my successor megaproject. I'll leave the building, planning, and designing discussions and such in this part of the forum and the actual construction and RP'ing and etc. will be done in the DF community forum. It's a good way of managing things, as well as linking to progress points. Especially if the community/succession portion gets dense with all the chatter and etc.; also it's a good way to keep discussion and succession separate from each other, and keep things organized.

Speaking of which, I might wait a bit longer until maybe a lengthy update gap is available before I get to work on the actual MP itself (like last edition of my megaproject). It ensures I get as many features available as well as decent stability with the process. I don't want my project to crap out due to an unforeseen bug that breaks the game or something.

I also figure that like my last megaproject, it's a good way to kill time for everyone waiting for the next big version release. Especially considering Armok's Gauntlet (AKA- Bloodfist) took me a good couple months to get done (planning and building).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:58:38 pm by Itnetlolor »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 02:29:13 pm »

I am willing to join if you include a volcano in embark, invade hell and relocate your entire fortress into it.