Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A handful of new MMOs of possible interest  (Read 1548 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
A handful of new MMOs of possible interest
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:27:31 pm »

I saw a few cool looking things over on Massively today and thought I'd share some of them with you guys. But I am not going to make three threads, if there's enough interest we can alway split off into other threads of their own.  Anyway, I ramble:

http://ufo-online.gamigo.com/

UFO. You know what names meant to evoke. X-COM-like. It looks like it's inspired at least by those games, with the turn-based tactical gameplay and basebuilding and all that listed. There's not much other detail yet besides upgradeable weapons (duh). There's a prerendered trailer and three measly screens so far but it's something to watch and see how it turns out. At worst I'll probably be giving this a go since it's launching as free.

From the same publisher:

http://grimlands.gamigo.com/

This one is even more compelling, at least in concept. Post-apocalyptic, and the feature set lists 'comprehensive crafting' and 'flexible skill system' which are big perks for me. This has even less in the way of actual screens than the UFO one, and another promo trailer.

http://www.archeage.com/en/contents/gameIntros

The last game has a lot more data going for it including videos and a bunch of art and screens, interactive skill examination table, etctera. On the downside, it's Korean. That already evokes some pretty negative ideas in my mind as far as MMOs go, but they have a damn pretty game with a few compelling features: for me, the housing system looks awesome and it promises to have some distinctive modes of transportation, as well as sea battles and all that. Just hope it isn't too grindy. Below, an awesome example of doing cool things with player-built housing :D

Some further details after reading a bit:
It's built in the CryEngine 2 and the lead developer is Jake Song (of Lineage)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 11:53:01 pm by Tilla »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A handful of new MMOs of possible interest
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 06:10:32 am »

What's up with pretty much every sandbox game being a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 06:30:32 am »

I imagine it's for a certain believability i.e. why people are rebuilding and the source of complex building materials, etc.

I for one would like a sandbox game where the background is that you arrived on a planet as part of a colony ship in order to start over.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:55:58 am »

To be frank, a colonization effort would be more believable than a post-apocalyptic one. Since we would not have access to modern building materials if the latter was the case.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 08:24:01 am »

What's up with pretty much every sandbox game being a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

Because a desert with nothing in it is pretty easy to make art for.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:08:12 am »

It gives you a challenge as there's something to strive for, to work together on. Like artificial difficulty. And there's pre-war ruins and stuff, which lets you put dungeon-like things on the world and please the exploration types.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:19:11 am »

I imagine it's for a certain believability i.e. why people are rebuilding and the source of complex building materials, etc.

I for one would like a sandbox game where the background is that you arrived on a planet as part of a colony ship in order to start over.

At least landing on an uninhabited alien planet would give us some interesting graphics. :(

Because a desert with nothing in it is pretty easy to make art for.

I'd love it if it was a desert like the Sahara. Instead it always ends up being set in (no offence to Americans) an arse ugly American "red desert".

It gives you a challenge as there's something to strive for, to work together on. Like artificial difficulty. And there's pre-war ruins and stuff, which lets you put dungeon-like things on the world and please the exploration types.

Asheron's Call 2 post-apocalyptic magical wasteland. Had lots of different art assets and you started off coming out of vaults like Fallout. On an alien planet, you could have alien ruins etc.