Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A suggestion regarding forest retreats/elven fortifications  (Read 703 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
A suggestion regarding forest retreats/elven fortifications
« on: April 22, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »

I have a quick thought regarding the eventual contents of elven forest retreats in terms of what will pass for "structures" there:

Basically, what if they had buildings approximating all of the normal buildings found in towns, but instead of constructed walls, the boundaries elves' "buildings" would be formed by impassible lines of living trees, with a two tile gap where the door would be in a normal building. They could also have "castles" 'constructed' in a similar manner.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion regarding forest retreats/elven fortifications
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 12:44:54 pm »

Thing about elves in DF is they revere the natural far too much to let nature do anything but be itself.  Maybe they could have treehouses, but grown tree cities, with "walls" of trees seems a bit unnatural.

I think they'd be far more likely to grow trees into houses a tree at a time, bending branches back and making walkable areas in the canopy, than planting artificial tree-walls.

Problem is, trees in DF are one tile.  Maybe they could have some kind of special "elf trees" that are bigger than normal trees.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »

Thing about elves in DF is they revere the natural far too much to let nature do anything but be itself.  Maybe they could have treehouses, but grown tree cities, with "walls" of trees seems a bit unnatural.

I think they'd be far more likely to grow trees into houses a tree at a time, bending branches back and making walkable areas in the canopy, than planting artificial tree-walls.

Problem is, trees in DF are one tile.  Maybe they could have some kind of special "elf trees" that are bigger than normal trees.

All signs point towards Toady wanting to build multi-tile trees and putting the elven "houses" as tents on top of giant trees.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist McArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 06:45:17 pm »

Isn't this what that Threetoe story Snatcher was about?

edit: Just checked. It wasn't, but homes made from the trees was a major plot point.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:24:20 pm by Urist McArmok »

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 12:18:10 am »

Someone made a really nice mock-up of what a elven tree home would be like. I can't remember who it was though. Basically it was a hollow tree, where the tree grew around them.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?