Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I think my body hates me...  (Read 1235 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I think my body hates me...
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »

When I don't have food readily available, it is not hungry; however, when I do have food available, it is no longer hungry. Also, and this is the major one, when I lay down to go to sleep, my body won't let me sleep till 3 or 4 in the morning, then it starts bitching to me about how it didn't get enough sleep.
How much longer until I can just cut out my brain and put it into another body that isn't so annoying or, if all bodies are like that, a robot?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: I think my body hates me...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:38:15 pm »

I have the same sleep issues, but they're mostly from my brain not shutting up about whatever game I was last playing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:13 pm »

When I don't have food readily available, it is not hungry; however, when I do have food available, it is no longer hungry. Also, and this is the major one, when I lay down to go to sleep, my body won't let me sleep till 3 or 4 in the morning, then it starts bitching to me about how it didn't get enough sleep.
How much longer until I can just cut out my brain and put it into another body that isn't so annoying or, if all bodies are like that, a robot?
My thoughts exactly.

Humans should evolve to become nocturnal or something.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:40:55 pm »

Be more active.  Spending all day on the computer causes poor sleeping habits.  Or, if that's too much work, take melatonin.

Who has two tentacles and uses the second piece of advice here?

This squid!
Shoes...

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:41:30 pm »

I have the same sleep issues, but they're mostly from my brain not shutting up about whatever game I was last playing.

Yeah, you should stop playing about 1-2 hours before you go to sleep.

Try also listening to music.

And about the hungriness,when you're hungry long enough, you no longer feel hungry. After about 6 hours the feeling returns, however.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 02:46:55 pm »

This is going to sound stupid, but if you have any blue LED's in the room you are sleeping in, cover them with duct-tape or something.  I normally sleep pretty good but blue LED's keep me awake.  If nothing else it doesn't hurt to try.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:15:15 pm »

I agree with the others that watching TV or playing games right before bed is going to keep you up. If you really need to go to bed, read something boring like a dictionary. 

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:17:11 pm »

If I want to go to bed early, all I have to do is have no electronics or artificial lighting, and then stay outside until the sunset, and BANG I'm inside and asleep by 8:30.

And I usually have trouble going to bed before midnight.
Actually spending a good portion of the day outside, especially if I get up around dawn, makes it even more likely for me to get to sleep early.

The problem is just that I never WANT to go sleep. :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:31:50 pm »

Humans should evolve to become nocturnal or something.
You can become nocturnal with relative ease if you try, I've done it accidentally more than once. That's why people can work graveyard shifts and sleep during the day. Of course, it's just as easy to become diurnal again. Our circadian rhythm isn't set in stone, it's just that society tends to force everyone into a single sleep schedual so that we can all be awake at the same time.

In addition:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 10:54:36 pm »

This is going to sound stupid, but if you have any blue LED's in the room you are sleeping in, cover them with duct-tape or something.  I normally sleep pretty good but blue LED's keep me awake.  If nothing else it doesn't hurt to try.  :)

I read somewhere that green light is the hardest to sleep with, so try turning off anything with a green light on it.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 11:42:20 pm »

I read somewhere that green light is the hardest to sleep with, so try turning off anything with a green light on it.

Weird, green doesn't bother me at all.  Maybe they aren't as bright as the blue ones though.  One blue led on my computer pretty much lights up the whole room, while my three green LED's don't light up the room much at all.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 12:01:20 am »

Red lights don't hurt your nightvision, which is why star maps generally use red lights. Green hurts it some, blue is worse, and of course white and combinations thereof are worse than that.

The more likely culprit though:
The big thing to remember is to go to sleep at the same time every night, and do nothing else in bed. Don't read there, don't play on a laptop, and don't lie down for hours while thinkign about something else. Your mind should reflexively think of sleep when it's in bed.

If you are trying to set up a sleep schedule, go to bed at a certain time and stay there for half an hour. If you're still not asleep then get up, read, and go back to bed in another 15 minuets to half hour. "read" btw means a book, not anything with a backlight. lights, particulary anything non-red, irritates your eyes enough to draw you out of sleep.

Also, don't eat or drink anything but water before bed. Lots of biology here, but basically your body doesn't want to sleep after eating.

Exercise helps a lot, but only if it's exhausting or regular. A lazy person who does a few jumping jacks before bed might actually be more awake after exercise. If you do it regularly though, your body will be able to relax a lot easier. That in turn makes sleep really easy to come by.

It should take about 6 weeks to get a body fully into the new sleep cycle.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...