Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: MIT research on 4chan and /b/  (Read 8810 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: MIT research on 4chan and /b/
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

Fun fact: I'd get v& if the feds in Sweden found my computer, and, I believe Norway, Canada, and probably a whole mess of other countries.
All legal here though.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 08:29:31 pm »

The FBI realise that.
The FBI and Anonymous are also in a bizarre relationship. Sometimes they cooperate to "van" people, sometimes they try to screw each other over.

The difference is that the FBI is trying to uphold the law, whereas Anonymous is trying to uphold the lulz.
Fix'd.
I want the FBI to make a press release thanking Anonymous in one of these incidents. Just to see them do it. "The Federal Bureau of Investigation thanks Anonymous for their assistance in this recent joint operation, and hopes that they find the lulz resulting from it sufficent."

I would laugh forever.

It's better if you have a politician or high ranking FBI official say it so that you get to watch them actually pronounce "teh lulz".

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 10:57:23 pm »

You have to realise that the people who call themselves "anonymous"/lulzsec doing cyberterrorism and such and the actual anonymous of 4chan/futaba related sites aren't the same thing.

The FBI realise that.
How effective are governments at in cracking down cyberterrorism? Cyberterrorism, right now, is not as damaging as, say, an actual terrorist attack, but it would seem much harder to trace down an individual taking part in it, much less anyone actually leading these cyber-terrorist organizations (if there is even a leader running the show).

In a recent televised 'wargame', it turned out that the US government isn't very good at stopping cyberterrorism at all, and if Al Qaeda would just hire a computer programmer we would all be fucked.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:13 am »

To be fair though, they are constantly under attack by a stream of Eastern European and Chinese hackers that those governments obviously don't give a shit about and perhaps aid.

Every so often, being in the SF bay, I read a tech article that some gov't or business server infrastructure or such has been breached by somewhere in Eurasia.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 01:13:31 am »

We have always been at war with Eurasia

8)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]