Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Could not find path?  (Read 405 times)

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
Could not find path?
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:12:52 pm »

So like, i'm having a rather annoying problem. One of my dorfs is all secretive, but he won't go anywhere from where he is. I have pretty much all workshops built, so i just figure he's bugged or something. However, as i try to wall him in, one of my masons suspends the construction of a wall. Why? Could not find path. What gives? They could navigate my fort easily before, but all of a sudden i get that message. Anyone know what to do? I'd rather not have a berserk dorf rampaging around in the bedhall.

Edit: Ah shit, wrong section. Oh well.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Could not find path?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:29:54 pm »

Something has blocked the access to the construction. The fact that they could navigate before only means it's something more recent. Check ramps, doors and such carefully and/or try re-designating the wall.

Also, you did not try build something along the lines of 3x3 block of wall all at once? Sometimes when you build a lot at once stuff gets constructed out of order so that the dwarves cut off parts of the designated constructions as they work on them.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:40:49 pm »

No, the only relevant change was that i slapped up a boatload of workshops, but none of them obstructed any path completely. The wall i tried to build was only the right half of a 3x3 wall (2x3 mirrored C), and the cancellation happened before any of the pieces were built. However, i believe it might have had something to do with me running a pump stack along with the silly minds of 88 dorfs. Maybe the strain on the CPU was great enough to short out their brains. In any case, i managed to wall him up. He didn't go for any workshop, so the most humane dorfane action was to let him starve in a confined room.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 11:29:41 pm »

It sounds like you didn't have the workshop type he wanted, and was waiting for you to build it.  I've had this happen, and when you finally get the correct workshop constructed he would have taken off immediately to start his work.

To find out what workshop type he wanted, you need to check what skills he has.  Not what jobs he is assigned, but existing skills.  If he's a woodcutter, but also a novice metalcrafter (or stone crafter, or ...) he might have wanted to make a metal (or stone, or ...) artifact.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"