Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise dose it go through undug land? z and x  (Read 482 times)

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noise dose it go through undug land? z and x
« on: March 09, 2011, 02:42:38 pm »

Im starting to build my bedrooms and if it gose through undug land then I will need to use 33 layers just for one bed room area, if not then I can build them neer the top and make my fort more compact and just make sure the hallways are 16 from any bed.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Noise dose it go through undug land? z and x
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 02:45:44 pm »

Dont worry about noise, a few unhappy thoughts that occurr from noise is not the end of the world.  Keep your dwarves happy with really good booze and a fancy dining room and the occasional bad thought is a non-issue.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 02:51:39 pm »

Workshops don't generate noise last I checked, so the few transient bad thoughts digging and such cause shouldn't require you to design your fort around it.

jamesmax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 02:57:57 pm »

Workshops don't generate noise last I checked, so the few transient bad thoughts digging and such cause shouldn't require you to design your fort around it.

ya but i did a lot and if it gose through undug land then i wake them up just by mineing

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:14:17 pm »

ya but i did a lot and if it gose through undug land then i wake them up just by mineing
In that case, yes, I think it does go through undug soil/rock.  The DF wiki article is best for allround noise advice: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Noise

However, I think that you can only have one bad thought 'per topic'.  If the same dwarf is exposed to several noises, he will only suffer the strongest bad thought from it, all the others will just be 'overriden' by that one bad thought.  You should be fine so long as your dwarves are kept happy some other way, like a nice legendary dining room, the staple of any good fortress! ;)