Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm animals hurting each other  (Read 1441 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Farm animals hurting each other
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:45 pm »

has anyone found a good formula or solution besides creating many small pastures/pens to prevent that animals in a grazer zone attack each other

i mean even on a 10*20 zome my 4 animals constantly clash

and the chicken pen looks like a battlefield after the chicks hatched and attack the hens over time

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm animals hurting each other
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »

I have had this problem too, my combat log is pretty large becuase of chicken fights,  though this is realistic roosters will fight each other, some times to the death
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 12:33:56 pm »

I've got an indoor pasture (soilgrass, yum!) of about 30x30 (at first only my milker and shearer were allowed in there, for pathing purposes, but then I got stupid and put my furniture stockpile on the other side...)  and about 20 sheep.  None of them have had any "closeness" combat.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 02:45:10 pm »

What version are you playing? Animals spread out more in .20 pastures.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:06 pm »

.20 had the same issue as .21

no matter how big the pasture is .. they find each other and kick each others but

even a father yak destroying his new born calf + his mother even if they alone had a 10*10 space for themselves all grassy

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 06:48:12 pm »

I've got an indoor pasture (soilgrass, yum!) of about 30x30 (at first only my milker and shearer were allowed in there, for pathing purposes, but then I got stupid and put my furniture stockpile on the other side...)  and about 20 sheep.  None of them have had any "closeness" combat.

Are you sure? I didn't think mine were fighting either, until I hit "r" to check my reports. Yow. (After checking my logs I'm just surprised none of them have actually died of blood loss except for one cavy.) Also are you playing 3.21?

So yeah, I don't see my animals "spread out" as much (although they're supposed to) because they're too busy crowding on each other and fighting. *sigh*

(I also can't seem to get "grass" to grow very well underground. Le sigh. So much for my nice underground pastures.)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 08:00:33 pm »

Are you sure? I didn't think mine were fighting either, until I hit "r" to check my reports. Yow. (After checking my logs I'm just surprised none of them have actually died of blood loss except for one cavy.) Also are you playing 3.21?

Yeah, I check the "r" menu pretty much mercilessly.  "oh man that little C wasn't there a second ago, is there a goblin?  ...  Oh, right, my hunters.  I don't even own any Yak Cows...  Sigh."
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »

Apart from when I had several waves of wild rhesus macaques invading my space (through the middle of my 12x12-or-so pastureland, it and my main entrance bordered by a multi-Z ditch, except for the necessary bridges to traverse entrance->pasture->wilds across the ditches for work purposes) a recent fort (that I'm ditching (NPI!) for a re-attempt under .21) had absolutely no combats, despite having over the first three years imported more grazing animals than the pasture could apparently support and ending up with at least one starved-to-death bull, in amongst the mess of happily breeding (and some starving) alpacas, sheep, geese, blue peabirds, etc, etc...

In fact, the only combat reports I got were of the likes of gosling vs macaque (creating a heavily injured gosling, but didn't die), blue peacock and macaque (more injuries, and then it got inadvertently stuck on top of my windmill-tower that I built so as at be able to place the lever-controlled gear to the underling pump at ground level, apparently didn't want to fly down after I removed the ramp) and my tame Cougar (good enough not to eat my goslings, peachicks, lambs, yak calves, etc, etc, etc) causing the macaque troop a few fatalities prior to my fledgling military finally getting to grips with them.

Except for one report.  Immediately upon embark the two wagon-towing beasts (I think yak was one, can't remember what the other was, but another cattle-type... leastwise, the two beasts that I had most certainly not shelled out good points for in my embarkation preparations) had reported a slight scuffle.  This was prior to any pasture being made, so must have been because they were sharing the wagon-footprint 'default meeting area', possibly even the very same spot, for just a microsecond longer than one or the other was comfortable with.  No permanent injuries from that incident, and it did not reoccur, even while I was still unsure about the process of pasturification.  Possibly they just wandered off to opposite sides of the cart, but I was too busy to keep track of them, at that point...

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:40:28 am »

it seems chicken birds vs mothers and any grazing bulls vs calfes are the main scufflers .. i only get  messages from them no matter how big the pasture :>

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:28:39 pm »

lol, looks as though the code for arguments and the code for offspring pathing are treading on each other's toes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.