Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caverns  (Read 1294 times)

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
Caverns
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:52:58 pm »

I may have asked this before, but caverns are a waste of my time and do nothing but screw up my building plans. What do I remove from the raws to get rid of caverns completely. And yes, I know that caverns are useful when you embark on glaciers. Guess what I never, ever, ever, ever do?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: Caverns
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:55:37 pm »

Caverns also allow your dwarf civ to acquire and then trade with you:

-Underground plants
-Silk

Code: [Select]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
Worldgen init file. Try changing to 0 or 1.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »

I can buy silk. Thank you.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:03:43 pm »

No you can't. That's what he was saying. Remove caverns, and you remove the places where silk and mushrooms came from, so nobody will have them to sell with you.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:04:35 pm »

I can buy silk. Thank you.

Well :P

I was relating to the fact that without caverns, your civ won't trade silk with you because they won't be able to get it from anywhere.

Dunno if it's really true but I'm just going with logic there.

Also, you might want to mess with options below the bracket I posted about.

EDIT: Aw, goddamn forum ninjas.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:16:48 pm »

You can also adjust the space between the caverns and the space before the first cavern in the world gen options - I just set it so there's a ton of space before the first cavern and also a decent gap between them. Then I have plenty of room for my main fort up above and mid-cavern staging areas if I feel I need them (emergency magma tanks, secondary storage areas etc)

EDIT: Aha, found them. These are the defaults:

[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »

If you remove caverns completely, you will embark with:

No plants. none. at all. Dwarven civs don't use, or offer, above-ground plants.
no silk. again, no caverns means no cave spiders. which means no webs.
Combining those two factors, it's likely that your dwarves will arrive naked, either that, or dressed in only leather.
You'll also remove most options for meat to embark with.
And, this is the most important: No booze. again, no plants to brew.

My suggestion is to set the options as follows:
   [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:1]
////
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:25]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]

This will allow you to embark with the full compliment of dwarven stuff (and possibly some very strange options, since doing this will compress all the layers into one), while still allowing you plenty of dig space for your fort.
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:45:41 pm »

I don't know how but you can mod the underground plants to be avaible above ground so Dwarfs can use them.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:41:40 pm »

But caverns are dwarfy!
Just like dwarves are badass versions of humans who live above ground, the caverns is a badass version of the overworld, where just about every creature and humanoid is out to kill you. As such the dwarves, badass as they are, must be in their natural habitat of the underworld!

But yes you can disable them completely, no idea how you'd get underground crops without them though, and if you mod them to be outdoor crops wouldn't they need to be grown outdoor? Course if you're one of them softy above ground dwarves I'm sure you won't mind eating the less badass outdoor crops.

Also, wouldn't you still be able to get silk? There's still those surface spiders that only occur in evil biomes. What were they called, phantom spiders?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:43:15 pm by Jelle »

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:25:22 pm »

I've never seen any of the other civs trade the phantom spider silk before, so he's have to embark on an evil forest and hope it's the right type of evil to get silk. That or mod in some more surface spiders with a wider habitat range.

He could still grow his crops underground by collapsing some soil down to where he wants it, and digging out all the natural roofing, and replacing it with artificial roofs. Still it'll only be surface crops though.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »

IF the only reason caverns are annoying is because they mess with your plans, all you need to do is change the 'levels above layer 1' to a large enough number to accomodate your plans.  I like 60 because, well, 60 is a heck of a lot of room to do whatever you need to do, and more than that tends to just be annoying.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.