Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lame human siege  (Read 1382 times)

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
Lame human siege
« on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:06 am »

So the humans decided to lay siege to me. I have no idea why.. their last caravan was very profitable, I don't think they've had that many killed by goblins on the map, maybe none at all. But the siege itself is pretty pathetic, like 14 macemen and a couple archers. If it wasn't for numbers.. I'd go out and take them out. I have 3 legendary fighter/axe guys and 3 sword guys who are 1 or 2 steps away from being legendary.
I worry that 16 on 6 would give them too much of a number advantage. Also with my main door wide open, they just stood around and circled a bush rather than approach the entrance. I figured if I got some in a cage trap it might even things out but they wouldn't attack.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lame human siege
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:53:18 am »

Don't butcher them, take them prisoner. This is a godsend, you have 16 pieces of easy meat for whatever you desire.

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:03:12 am »

unfortunately they wouldn't come into the fort. It's like they knew they were doomed. I had to wait. First a herd of giant capybara wandered between us, then a goblin ambush showed up, in the middle of my siege (again lame, like 5 bowmen, I took them out), and I tried to lure the humans in but nada. So I finally had to go out and slaughter them. I had just created a hammer dwarf squad, but my guys took no injuries. They absolutely decimated the lot of them. I think 3 humans made it to the edge of the map though.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 08:11:56 am »

16 against 6 is all right, if they are well trained. About any number against 6 is usually a win, at least for me.

The siege may be because the human civ and your dwarf civ declared war to each other... Can they do that after worldgen right now?
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 08:40:36 am »

I recently had humanlike siege, ~15 archers on camels. They even tried to keep distance and running when dwarves get close. How the hell dwarves are supposed to attack mounted archers ...

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:36 am »

I recently had humanlike siege, ~15 archers on camels. They even tried to keep distance and running when dwarves get close. How the hell dwarves are supposed to attack mounted archers ...

Marksdwarves.

Simples!
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 08:46:36 am »

The obvious answer was magma. But sure, marksdwarves...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 08:56:53 am »

When humans decide to siege, they do it the really annoying way - they camp for a few months before deciding to move out. This means you can't rely on static defences and it cuts off contact from the outside world for much longer than a goblin siege would.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:03:10 am »

Marksdwarves militia vs 15 archers ? that surely couldnt go wrong ...
And magma was more fun then useful, one of legendary warriors dodged in magma moat during that siege : /

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 09:27:19 am »

The humans know where your traps are (if the liason/merchants have seen them on previous visits)
Its probably pathing to avoid traps that causes them to hang about outside.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."