Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: moody dwarf gains legendary tanner insteead of leatherworker  (Read 985 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
moody dwarf gains legendary tanner insteead of leatherworker
« on: March 06, 2011, 08:37:39 pm »

have no access to bugtracker maybe one can relay this

it seems in .20 when a dwarf with no skill in leatherworking gets a mood for it ..after finishing the mood successfully may gain legendary skill in tanning not leatherworking

the dwarf
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

the messagelog

the artefact

thanks
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:46:49 pm by schussel »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: moody dwarf gains legendary tanner insteead of leatherworker
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »

Same-industry moods tend to do that.  Miner-Mason, Tanner-Leatherwork, and other such similars (I assume ones like Shearer-Spinner?) will do that.  They produce a stone chair, but train the mining skill.  It's odd, but, it happens!

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:48:46 pm »

It seems likely that the dwarf had some skill in tanning, even just having done an extremely minor amount of tanning is enough, just once, and got a mood for that skill.  Tanning is a moodable skill, and judging by the screenshot the dwarf in question had no leatherworking skill, without which it would be impossible to get a mood for leatherworking in the first place.  Tanning moods can use leatherworks too.

More information can be found at the wiki, thought it doesn't look as informative for the latest version as it used to be for 40d.  Same principles probably apply tho. http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Strange_mood

TL;DR: Probably not a bug, sorry about the unfortunate choice of moodskill. :/

Also protip: if you really want a mood for a particular skill, make sure all unskilled dwarves have done 1 job like with that skill, like smithed one armor or one weapon, just to get some skill in it and thus end up in the 'roll' for a mood for that skill.  The highest-level moodable skill has priority though, so only do that with your unskilled laborers.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 08:57:31 pm »

the funny thing is he never had something to do with tanning ..  the tanner was somebody else way before him and this cook just sorta entered my fort to be locked away as cook^^

but ok when the issue is known then its ok^^

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:39 pm »

Yeah this happens to me a lot.

Ive found that as long as they have the job allocated then they can mood for it.

This often leaves you with fairly useless legendary dwarfs. On the other hand, the artifacts are nice.

I shrug it off. I dont usually find any skill to be indispensable in my fort. Except maybe for my miners.

The rest of the little beards can burn.
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 04:26:15 pm »

I dont usually find any skill to be indispensable in my fort. Except maybe for my miners.

As long as I've got picks, I can survive.  I've been considering retiring my high-skill miners into other professions like masonry or the reserves, and hiring new miners who don't generate a trail of dross when digging.  I'd love to be able to set (o)rders for mining where you tell the highly-skilled miners "just bash it into gravel guys - it's just microcline."

Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

Toady has mentioned this on the development schedule, a sort of "X value stone uses X value workers" or "X specific stone uses X value workers" so that your legendaries carve out adamantinite and your dabblings will cut out shist.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:54:47 pm »

I'd love to be able to set (o)rders for mining where you tell the highly-skilled miners "just bash it into gravel guys - it's just microcline."

That's a good idea, and wasn't quite what Girlinhat mentioned.  The ability to tell miners not to save certain types of stone and just pulverize it as if they were novice miners would be great.  Has this already been requested somewhere?

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:59:29 pm »

Of course, then our fortresses will be covered with piles of gravel, which won't have a use for ten releases but then gets mixed with smashed fired clay (made at the screw press) and volcanic dust (obtained with a collection site where there is magma mist) to make concrete, which can be used in constructions.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:01:09 pm »

Ah, that's what you mean.  Not anything I've heard about that, but it'd probably be easy enough for Toady to add a new designation type that doesn't leave boulders.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:02:42 pm »

Has this already been requested somewhere?
Only by about a billion different people a billion different times. ;)