Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I just downloaded 31.21...  (Read 1092 times)

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I just downloaded 31.21...
« on: March 07, 2011, 02:04:24 am »

I just downloaded 31.21, applied the Dwarven Higher Learning mod and genned a new medium high-volcanic world.  Worldgen took a bit longer than I remember it taking it 31.18, but no biggie.  I find a decent looking volcano to embark on but then notice that something is very wrong with my neighbors
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and my "dwarves" are looking very, um, scaly.
  Did I do something horribly wrong when I applied the mod or did I uncover a !!feature!! of the new release?  Here are my world gen parameters:
and here's the save if you are interested.
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I just downloaded 31.21...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 02:07:59 am »

I would guess the mod hasn't been updated for the latest versions and it messed up the raws. I'm not a modding expert though.
Memento Mori

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:09:58 am »

Sounds like duplicate creatures in the raw files to me. Though the mod not being updated to the most recent update likely is part of the problem too.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:05 am »

Find errorlog.txt in your DF folder. Find the creature entries it's complaining about. Delete them.

SleepyLittleFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 09:16:14 am »

What?! Am I the only one who thinks this is awesome? Leave them be and set up the first ever DF civilisation of scally things

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:56:32 am »

Find errorlog.txt in your DF folder. Find the creature entries it's complaining about. Delete them.

Thanks for the pointer!  Errorlog is complaining about a lot of creatures and all six entities as being duplicated
So I re-checked the raws, and couldn't find what I did wrong - then it dawned on me.  I made a backup copy of creature_standard and entity_default before I changed anything.  DF was reading both my modded version and the backups, causing the duplication.  After moving my backups into a zip the next world genned normally. 

What?! Am I the only one who thinks this is awesome? Leave them be and set up the first ever DF civilisation of scally things
I just may try that, I also uploaded the save if you want to try your hand as cave crocs striking the earth, with giant olms, toads, and bats as potential raiders. 
You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:28:59 am »

Unfortunately cave crocodiles make very poor fortress builders.  Lacking opposable thumbs and being too self-centered to take orders are fatal flaws I'm afraid. 

Save the catgirls!

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:27:35 pm »

I just downloaded 31.21, applied the Dwarven Higher Learning mod and genned a new medium high-volcanic world.  Worldgen took a bit longer than I remember it taking it 31.18, but no biggie.  I find a decent looking volcano to embark on but then notice that something is very wrong with my neighbors
and my "dwarves" are looking very, um, scaly.
  Did I do something horribly wrong when I applied the mod or did I uncover a !!feature!! of the new release?  Here are my world gen parameters:
and here's the save if you are interested.

MY GOD DWARFISH EVOLUTION

apparently in this world your dwarfs have evolved scales.   I hypothesis that the world wide torture of nobles caused dwarfkind to grow scaly skin to help protect them form spike traps.  This apparent reptilian evolution may also indicate gills to protect against water death pits.  Given the number of nobles killed the year 40d most dwarfs have been related to nobles and there for the evolution spread out amongst the entire population
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

SleepyLittleFox

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:16:10 am »

Unfortunately cave crocodiles make very poor fortress builders.  Lacking opposable thumbs and being too self-centered to take orders are fatal flaws I'm afraid. 
Sounds like my dwarfs. Well except they have opposable thumbs. Well those who still have hands do at least.

Damn though, would have loved to see a underground crocodile society fending off yearly giant olm raids.