Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: X-Com:Ufo Defense/Enemy Unkown question  (Read 2694 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
X-Com:Ufo Defense/Enemy Unkown question
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:37 am »

Is it possible to select multiple units/the whole squad at once and move them at once? If not, is there a utility that can do this? I'm considering doing a LP of X-Com soon but this will give me a yes or no on whether I should do it or not, as it takes absolutely forever to individually select your units and move them each turn.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com:Ufo Defense/Enemy Unkown question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:57:53 am »

Is it possible to select multiple units/the whole squad at once and move them at once? If not, is there a utility that can do this? I'm considering doing a LP of X-Com soon but this will give me a yes or no on whether I should do it or not, as it takes absolutely forever to individually select your units and move them each turn.

You cant select them all, it doesn't take forever. Up the movement speed to max.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:13:01 am »

Also, learn to use less units. You don't need a full skyranger for most missions, much less the larger craft. I usually limit myself to 6 or 8 soldiers along with a tank or two for most of the smaller UFOs. I only start increasing the numbers once I start taking on the Large and above UFOs.

Don't say it's impossible either. Some of the real veterans have actually completed an entire alien base with only one soldier, a couple of pistols and a bit of luck.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:53:08 am »

Using the "Select next unit & mark as done" button is a great feature. Makes it really easy to manage a large unit.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:23:12 am »

Also, learn to use less units. You don't need a full skyranger for most missions, much less the larger craft. I usually limit myself to 6 or 8 soldiers along with a tank
+1.
I do usually bring a full compliment of soldiers, but aside from about 4, who I use offensively, they all stay behind to guard the craft* (and as backup if any of the "front" team get injured/die)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 01:09:52 pm »

Two 3-man teams and a sniper/Psi/blaster launcher, backed by two HWP's should be all you need. More rookies can be added for training if you wish, but if you don't let soldiers die or try something like a high psi-rated anti-etheral squad, less is better. Once you get an avenger you can add a few more trainees if you like. Don't bother with Lightnings.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 01:22:26 pm »

X-Com: Apocalypse lets you move large groups of soldiers at once (I don't remember but I think you can even click & drag), and in realtime mode, you can naturally adjust their targets while the game is running.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 01:54:33 pm »

Wrong thread, Sowelu. :P

enigma74

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:48:16 am »

they all stay behind to guard the craft*

you will rue the day the aliens blaster bomb your jam-packed craft!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:54:05 pm »

Yeah, watch out after turn 20 (30?).  The aliens suddenly learn all your positions, which can mean blaster bomb out of nowhere.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!