Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A journey : From newb to slightly less newb.  (Read 542 times)

Antikythera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A journey : From newb to slightly less newb.
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:02 pm »

I'm going to start documenting my "ahah!" moments. In the hope that at some point my experiences shift from purely comical to a resource for new players.

Moments up till this point;

1 - dogs and cage traps on my entrance stop thieves appearing deep within my fortress.

2 - Forbid EVERYTHING. o-F-c(i,o,t) dwarves love socks. an ambush that kills a single wood cutter can lead to a mass suicide as the rest of your dwarves rush out to gather his socks unless you change the default settings.

3 - Arm your citizens. Any dwarf can be put into a military squad. They can then be armed and set as inactive. They will carry out their normal jobs but continue to "bear arms". particularly useful if their profession takes them outside your defensive perimeter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: A journey : From newb to slightly less newb.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:17:31 pm »

Individual bedrooms all but prevent tantrum spirals, if you have no meeting hall.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:49:37 pm »

if you press o -> F you get a menu that lets you automatically forbid the gear on corpses, dwarven and visitor alike, then you can designate it for melting and undump it when its safe.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:32:23 pm »

Never arm your miners, it will cause them to drop their picks.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:38:54 pm »

Never arm your miners, it will cause them to drop their picks.

A miner is already both armed and some what combat trained since picks are not only an impressive weapon but also use mining skill in combat.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.