Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making the alligators stay in the moat...?  (Read 3217 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Making the alligators stay in the moat...?
« on: March 07, 2011, 12:54:06 pm »

Ok, so I bought a tame alligator from the elves. She will not stay in my moat, but clearly this is where she belongs, that or whereever the goblins are.

Is there a way for me to make her stay there? I thought an alligator would be happy there.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

dakenho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making the alligators stay in the moat...?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 12:56:48 pm »

well, I would just dig out the moat from underneath the surface, then channel down to it, as long as there are not any ramps or exists, they should stay in the moat becuase they cant escape.

also use the alligator in a agricultural program.  with a clutch size of 10-30, grow up times of 1 year, and large butcherable body's they would make for the best farming animal
From the description of the event, I think that your copy of Dwarf Fortress was on drugs when this happened. That's surely the only logical explanation for a human werewolf with deadly farts dying from it's own excrement after slaughtering some goblins comrades.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:05:06 pm »

well, I would just dig out the moat from underneath the surface, then channel down to it, as long as there are not any ramps or exists, they should stay in the moat becuase they cant escape.

also use the alligator in a agricultural program.  with a clutch size of 10-30, grow up times of 1 year, and large butcherable body's they would make for the best farming animal

O clearly I'm making alligator skin bags later, I just thought that they would like the moat and make it safe. I mean where else am I going to put them? They should clearly want water in my opinion and this is the largest source in my fort. :)

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:07:29 pm »

Have you tried making the moat a pasture and assigning the alligator to it?  I have no idea if this actually works, but it would be interesting to test.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 03:16:57 pm »

1) Alligator in moat
2) Magma in moat
3) ???
4) Profit!

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:27:05 pm »

Have you tried making the moat a pasture and assigning the alligator to it?  I have no idea if this actually works, but it would be interesting to test.

I can't seem to make that work. Help? :(

1) Alligator in moat
2) Magma in moat
3) ???
4) Profit!

We call this gator soup, extra crusty.

Please don't quote me.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 03:29:22 pm »

I can't seem to make that work. Help? :(

Yeah, I'm not surprised.  If the pasture is inside the moat, dwarves won't take gators there, since they can't reach it.

What you need to do is drain the moat, make the dry moat floor a pasture, and then assign your alligators to that pasture.  Once your dwarves have put the gators in the moat, refill it.  Hopefully they'll stay in even after it's full of water.

You could also drain the moat and then build chains on the moat floor, and chain the gators up in place before refilling the moat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

I bet you could make a pasture for the gator, but you'd need to go down 1 Z-level to the floor level of the moat, then assign the pasture zone and edit it so that it is the same shape as the moat.  But you might need to rig up something to make the gator fall into it, since presumably dwarves cannot take the gator down into it.

Try it... for science.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 04:02:38 pm »

Have you tried making the moat a Pit and assigning the gator to be tossed down into it?

... I haven't tried pitting animals much, though.  No clue if that would actually work.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 04:13:22 pm »

As far as I know the only thing that'll work, asuming the pasture idea fails, is to have limited acces points with a door that is pet impassable. The alligator might stand at the door hoping to get to the nearest meeting place though.
You could always rebuild acces once you've sealed off the moat, seems like the best solution to me.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:58 pm »

Hmm... could you make the pasture extend one tile inside the moat onto dry land where a dwarf can walk?  Maybe then the dwarf can take the 'gator to that part of the pasture, and set it free, and it'll roam within the moat + that one tile inward?

Not sure precisely how you'd go about designating a pasture that isn't rectangular or bounded by a physical room.

Maybe the "drop it down a pit" solution is better.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:58:59 am »

I tried this many months ago. It was tricky.
Once you pit them in the moat, they just swim out and head back to the meeting area. I tried making meeting zones in the moat for the 'gators to hang around in, but zones don't work once they're submerged. I'd like to see if you could pasture them in there, as I still haven't played anything after 31.16.

I ended up caging them on the bottom of the moat, linking a lever to the cage, filling the moat, modding gators to be [AQUATIC] rather than [AMPHIBIAN]
then pulling the lever. It worked, they stayed in, but they wouldn't move anywhere. They just sat there. They *did* rip apart the naked goblin prisoners I dropped into the moat, so it was technically a success.

Simplest solution I can think of is to make a 2z deep moat, with 1z of water and no access out once you pit them in.