Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Angry Birds  (Read 1075 times)

Magnut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Angry Birds
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:11 am »

And angry everything else, too. 

My meeting hall has become a wound factory, with all my "tame" animals infighting and pecking and latching and all that.

I think I embarked on cursed ground...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Birds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 01:20:16 am »

Animals get angry if they share the same tile as another creature for too long, and they start to fight.  Cage them or expand your animal habitat.  Since we can't collect hay, animals that eat will starve, but we all know that this version is far from perfect.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 01:26:43 am »

I think I know the issue.

Urist McKittenlover has 3 pet cats that follow him. Pet cats can't be caged or pastured, and follow him closely. When Urist McKittenlover goes to the meeting hall, the three pet cats follow him and bunch up on other dwarves, causing them to attack the dwarves. Short term, this solves the cat problem, but makes Urist McKittenlover sad.

Only solution I can think of is to make bigger meeting areas, or invest in pet death rooms, or have the military kill the pets if that won't cause a cascade.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 01:31:20 am »

It doesn't happen instantly...  Going to eat a meal doesn't insta-aggro.  People were worried about 1 tile wide hallways as well.  It takes a little bit of time to get angry, which is caused by a meeting hall but not when someone goes to eat and then leaves.  If everyone has individual bedrooms, turn off the meeting hall, and they'll go to their rooms nicely.  Short-term solution while you figure out what to do.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 02:02:12 am »

I say make leather robes for everyone and kitten punching becomes a spectator sport.

Raufgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 03:35:11 am »

I think I know the issue.

Urist McKittenlover has 3 pet cats that follow him. Pet cats can't be caged or pastured, and follow him closely. When Urist McKittenlover goes to the meeting hall, the three pet cats follow him and bunch up on other dwarves, causing them to attack the dwarves. Short term, this solves the cat problem, but makes Urist McKittenlover sad.

Only solution I can think of is to make bigger meeting areas, or invest in pet death rooms, or have the military kill the pets if that won't cause a cascade.

Toady fixed that issue in 31.21:

0.31.21 fixes a few crashes from 0.31.20.  Here are the 0.31.20 notes:

Major bug fixes
   (*) Made pastured animals spread out more during grazing and allowed pets to be grazed (lol, I think Toady meant pastured, though feeding the cats to the cows sounds mighty tempting...)