Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fix for bottomless pots. (solved)  (Read 2531 times)

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fix for bottomless pots. (solved)
« on: March 06, 2011, 11:28:25 am »

Now that you can brew into pots, they area a valid substitute for (wooden) barrels.

However, pots still hold very large (Limitless? Around 300 pounds of prepared food was the highest amount I witnessed so far) amounts of foodstuff. Since I do like full storage rooms, and I somehow feel like I am cheating, here's my request/question:

Is there any way to fix the pots so that they are equal to barrels?

Change the value for [ITEM_TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_LARGE_POT] in the DF/RAW/objects/items_tool.txt from [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:60000] to [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:100]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:22:54 pm by Haekel »

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fix for bottomless pots?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »

Are you using the .20 and genned a new world? It seems that 31.20 fix this.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:02:56 pm »

Genned a new .20 world and copied Ironhands update pack, yes. My stone pots still hold more than 10 units of food, at least about 30.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:18:02 pm »

Stacks aren't split to be put in barrels. If you have a stack of 30 prepared food, it will all fit into a barrel, no matter what. This has always happened.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »

Thing is, I had three stacks of 9, 15 and 6. Different foodstuff, too.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 01:47:32 pm »

What you might be missing is that this has never mattered.

You're looking at it as: The limit to a container must/should be some set number.

Rather, stacks are put into containers. The size of those stacks are determined by the skill of the dwarf making the item.  <-- This is the limit and has always been the limit. This explanation explains why you have stacks of various levels in containers. Dwarves of different skill must have created the stacks.

I believe you can have a set number of stacks in a container. How big those stacks are is and has always been determined by the Dwarf who made the stack. Default stack size at embark purchase is cut off at 5, which is why we used to say take numbers of given supplies ending in 1 or 6. The extra unit gave you an extra container for free. :)

Want proof? Just look at plant gathering. A beginning plant gatherer, might get no plants or just 1, sometimes 2 plants in a stack. Then have a legendary do it, you'll consistently get 3 or more in stacks and sometimes 6 in a stack. Same goes for farming, fertilizer increases stack size too, but there's no need to usually. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 01:53:09 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 02:06:59 pm »

I believe you can have a set number of stacks in a container. How big those stacks are is and has always been determined by the Dwarf who made the stack.

The limit for (at the very last for raw plants) barrels is ten units of material (unless in a bag), so you can have one stack of 10 prickle berries OR 5 stacks of 2 Prickel berries OR 10 stacks of 1 prickle berry.   This, however, has nothing to do with the problem I am talking about, so lets get back to the topic of bottomless pots able to store 300 units of meat (in more than two dozen stacks). :P

Want proof? Just look at plant gathering.

I am well aware of how the gathering system works, thanks :P

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 03:09:48 pm »

Right, tried it again. I have one stone pot made of rocksalt, storing my prepared food reserves of:

Pig Meat: Stacks of 10, 10, 10, 9, 2
Sheep Cheese Roast: 10, 7
Plump Helmet Roast: 8, 7
Prickle Berry Roast:8
Horse Tallow Roast: 4, 4, 4
Prepared Horse Eye Roast: 12
Prepared Horse Lung Roast: 5
Horse Meat Roast: 13

Which results in 123 Units. The stockpile is empty otherwise, except for an empty barrel.

(And no, not just prepared meals. My plant pot stores 22 stacks of various plants, size 1 to 5.)

Brewing works just fine, but store food in pots, and they're bottomless.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »

Barrels have always stored 10 solid material and 100 liquid, but it's tough to actually get 100 liquid because barrels aren't re-used if they're under capacity.  You'd need a stack of 20 plants to get 100 booze or syrup.  Regardless, barrels hold 10 solids, including bags which count as one solid.  All of my barrels, in .18 and .19 have stored increments of 10.  As in, 4 Wild Strawberries, 2 Wild Strawberries, and 4 Hide Root.  Always adds up to 10.  Every time.  The issue appears to be (to me) that pots are listed as "tools" and not the same category as barrels and bags.  They have [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:60000], and your guess is as good as mine as to what that actually means.

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »

(...) because barrels aren't re-used if they're under capacity.

Except for milk, though my dwarves tend to randomly empty the buckets into new barrels instead of filling the first one. I've seen milk barrels containing about 30 units of milk.

Quote from: Girlinhat
They have [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:60000], and your guess is as good as mine as to what that actually means.

... I think I will do some !!SCIENCE!! on this one. Thanks!

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:40:08 pm »

6000 Units.  The pots in vanilla hold 6000 units of stuff Oo  That is, if the curve doesn't grow exponentially here.

One unit of foodstuff equals 10 units in the [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:xxx] string, so 100 units here bring them down to par with barrels.

This doesn't seem to affect brewing, since the stacks of 5 Plump Helmets I embarked with were turned into 25 units of alcohol.

So, yeah.   If this bugs you as much as me, change the value in the DF/RAW/objects/items_tool.txt from
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:60000]
to
[CONTAINER_CAPACITY:100]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:56:32 pm by Haekel »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 09:07:50 pm »

Except for milk...
That's because the milk is stockpiled into barrels.  Booze, syrup, etc, uses the barrel as a reagent, and will only use empty barrels.  Milking, on the other hand uses the bucket as the reagent, and then stockpiles the milk from the bucket into the barrel.  In this case, the barrel is only stocking, so it doesn't fit into the "only empty for reaction" issue.

I wonder, if you could get a reaction that took booze out of a barrel, and into a bucket, would it then be stockpiled into another barrel, to create a barrel of 100 booze?  If the same applies to syrup, you could get 3 barrels of 100 syrup each, and then cook it into a massive meal.