Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why the foot  (Read 2705 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why the foot
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 05:42:00 pm »

Damn I loved that guy. He was epic.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 05:57:22 pm »

In the meantime, boots!
Yup, several layers of steel boots is more important than a breastplate. A wound in a chest can result in a honorable death on a battlefield, a wound in a foot leads to a disgraceful starving in a hospital.

By the way, are you talking about ANY foot wound, or a nerve damage and chopping off only. Because I've encountered only those two before, and have recently got a guy with fracture. He was stitched up, they even managed to apply casts instead of splint to his foot, ability to stand lost line gone away from health screen, his description doesn't mention any problems with that foot. And still, the bastard decides to chill out in hospital instead of being useful. Is this the case?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:28:45 pm »

I could swear I had a dwarf with a broken leg recover and go back to work after six to nine months ...

Unfortunately that game was eaten when I upgraded to 31.19.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:47 pm »

Damn I loved that guy. He was epic.
I was sort of distracted by the fucking Cyborg Viking Dragon.

But yeah that guy was a badass.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 04:12:23 am »

Why don't crutches work anyway?  Adventurer mode crutches work just fine--equip one and you're golden, walking slow, but walking--is the issue just that there is no way to assign a dwarf a crutch?  Isn't there some way to make a reaction, or edit a raw or something to identify a crutch as a weapon so it can be assigned via the military screen?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 04:37:51 am »

Why don't crutches work anyway?  Adventurer mode crutches work just fine--equip one and you're golden, walking slow, but walking--is the issue just that there is no way to assign a dwarf a crutch?  Isn't there some way to make a reaction, or edit a raw or something to identify a crutch as a weapon so it can be assigned via the military screen?

If only it were that simple...

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 05:57:40 am »

Peg... beards? I'm sure this would involve plucking out each hair and replacing it with splinters. Or 2x4s. Or cotton candy.

No, they'd use wool, cloth, or adamantine strands. I wish it were possible for dwarves to wear totems woven into their beards. I always thought that was neat.
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 06:06:05 am »

I could swear I had a dwarf with a broken leg recover and go back to work after six to nine months ...

Unfortunately that game was eaten when I upgraded to 31.19.
Yep, I think I've had leg injuries be healed up alright.  The problem here is that the foot's been struck and nerves have been severed and nerves never heal so your dwarf can never walk again.  It doesn't show in the health screen of the dwarf other than 'ability to walk lost'.  It does show in a combat report though.  I think if you can navigate the z-screen health page then it might show injuries in more detail, I haven't bothered in ages as it's never seemed that useful and shows all your pets as well.

It is pretty annoying, seems to happen a lot to me as well.  I don't know what all the whining about crutches is for though when we could use rollerskates instead.  That would strike fear into the black hearts of the gobbos as militia commander Urist McWheely lead the Shields of Perpetuity in a downhill attack strike at 60mph. 

Of course he would be tripped up by the corpse of a fluffy wambler and there would be a massive pile up at the bottom of the hill.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 11:02:37 am »

all i can think of now is the guy from "How to Train your Dragon" who has the peg-leg and hammer hand.

It's possible he's an Honorary Dwarf.   ;)

Gobber, and yeah, he is awesome.  Peg-leg, interchangeable hand and a stone fake tooth.  I had a dorf in one of the early .31 releases where medical was still more buggy than not who lost his right hand.  He got patched up and went back into the military and still carried a battle axe in his "right hand."  I like to think he had the same kind of jiggered-up socketed axe onto the stump as Gobber.

Now I want to see that movie.

It's an awesome movie, IMO.  Very dorfy, except instead of dorfs you have vikings.  My kids love it, but it's adulty enough for me to enjoy it too.

By the way, are you talking about ANY foot wound, or a nerve damage and chopping off only.

Any foot injury seems to let the dorf decide to just chill in the hospital forever.  But my OP was more of a "why, by Armok, do goblins seem to go for the feet every. single. time.  Never the hand, or the face, or the chest.  It's like they know I am going to wind up with a bunch of footless, useless dorfs. 

Or gobbos are foot fetishists.  I'm going with this one.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 11:32:26 am »

Never leave the fortress without them!!

Seriously, gobbos are smaller than dorfs, right? Makes sense to go after feet and legs.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »

I think it's a simple enough fix. Make the foot itself not needed to walk. Just have a foot injury slow their speed dramatically. Bam, we have a slow craftsdwarf, but he's not useless.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 [2]