Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: above ground plants on mud?  (Read 1126 times)

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
above ground plants on mud?
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:58:49 am »

so reading through the threads stroke me with the idea of bulding a hanging obsidian botanical garden.
someone mentioned about trees growing on obsidian, ok that's cool
then the problem is with shrub.
so far i tried the method of constructing and deconstructing floor over obsidian floor that has been noted in the thread, for multiple quick, testing embarks.
and every bit of those turned into stones like andesite, conglomerate, marble, dolomite etc. layer stones, rather than what i was hoping, soil.

so here's the quetion:
can above-ground plants grow on mud?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: above ground plants on mud?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 08:28:17 am »

oops, you need soil, silly me.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: above ground plants on mud?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:30:59 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68945.msg1660318#msg1660318

I found a way to put soil anyway you would like. Hope it helps. To my knowledge it is the only way to do it.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531