Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 31.19 & No Anvil...  (Read 4121 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.19 & No Anvil...
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 06:08:12 pm »

I wish I'd known about the various parent civs several embarks ago, but now I just play around until I can get the far cheaper Iron Anvil.

Hellmoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Exports: Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 06:21:45 pm »

I didn't realise that steel anvils were always available but hidden without enough points; I thought that it depended on what you parent civ had, and I've resorted to selecting a different starting civ a few times until I've got my anvil.

Apparently, it's because the game only checks whether civs are able to make alloys, not whether they have the raw materials. So your parent civ might not have any metals like copper, gold, or iron, but they'll always have bronze, steel and electrum etc...

It's probably an oversight, but then the current scarcity of metals (which I actually rather like) is only really there because trade is going to be overhauled in the (fairly) near future.
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 10:08:49 pm »

I find it a little frustrating, but I didn't have any experience with older versions. A scarcity setting for world gen would be nice.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 11:09:31 pm »

Heh, you think 300 is bad? It was 1000 back in the 40d days.  ;)
And imagine if 40d had .19's metal availability system. Just think, all that time people were happy about having anvils cost 10% of what they did before, and behind the scenes Toady was rubbing his hands and cackling about the day the metals overhaul would go live.

(yes, kidding)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 12:09:02 am »

You had to start with a steel axe too, or none at all. You kids think you have it so tough...

;)
Memento Mori
Pages: 1 [2]