Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spawning Metal at embark  (Read 1037 times)

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spawning Metal at embark
« on: March 03, 2011, 03:11:17 am »

Well here its the thing.
 A friend and I shared a region file, so that we could try and play the same map/region/world and see how we would do.

When he embarked, he had hematite revealed right from the start next to a volcano. When I embarked I had Cobaltite around the same spot... Further down I have Cinnabar. They both look like metal/ore but they are NOT metal/ore.

Does Cobaltite and Cinnabar goes as metal when the embark location is spawned??
He has hematite as shallow metal and I have cobaltite?? If so.... that sucks....

Does anyone know anything about this?

AdirianSoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spawning Metal at embark
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:14:49 am »

Around the same spot, or on exactly the same spot?

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 04:27:34 am »

Well I havent seen any screenshots from him, but I been digging alot around that area/spot. The hematite was revealed when he embarked, kinda like mine cobaltite.

Once I saved a region file, and tried embarking on a large map, to laggy so I deleted the region folder and put in the backup. Some of the stone (bitumnous coal) had moved a little bit. So I think the location can differ a little, but I didnt think it would be this much.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:30:15 am »

My understanding is that those count as "metals" as far as the site finder is concerned, even though you're not able to smelt them.

IRL, they are technically ores (for cobalt and mercury, if you're wondering).  Not that mercury would be useful to you even if you could smelt it.  Cobalt steel would sure be nice, though, even if it's a bit too technologically advanced for the setting.

EDIT:  That aside, I don't know if it chooses the metals after embark.  I suppose that is possible, but if so, I would expect to have heard something about it from the people downloading saved forts from DFFD by now.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 05:20:37 am »

In 31.19 is pretty hard to find easy embarks and  for newbies . The map doesn't have as many embark spots and you can't plan ahead by knowing the stone layers (unless there is a way to turn it back on). In .18 you generally looked for places with a volcano and no aquifer and all those things to make the game "super-easy" . In .19 you  have to compromise for a good embark without a volcano and with an aquifer (you'll have to learn how to deal with them at some point...) . If in .18 it was easy to strike ore,  in .19 it's easy to strike an aquifer...

I have a pretty good embark now . It's seaside ,aquifer free(luck) ,with "everything you need" (dense forest lots of ores not all though). And how did I find it?  I cheated until I found something "acceptable" and now I have the problem of "when you start cheating it's hard to stop". My main problem with my previous embark was generally lack of goblinite not the fact that there were aquifer everywhere.

You should either find a good seed or download good map and get get someone to "cheat" or tell you where to embark. There are  also different levels of "cheating" . "Prospector" isn't as bad  as the other cheat .It's possible to water down prospector to give output like :" Iron ore : little/some/plenty / mother-load  ". This can a be done with a "front-ends" program (real easy to make - many of the tools are dfhack front-ends) that looks at the program's output  and tell you  if you are at a "good spot" .
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:07:47 am by Niseg »
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 06:57:11 am »

I justed talked to my friend again, and he says he cant find the hematite now... So he must have been mistaken..

But ok cobaltite can be shown as shalllow/deep metal when choosing a embark location. Thanks for the info ;)