Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Battle Monks Succession/Challenge game.  (Read 3114 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: Battle Monks Succession/Challenge game.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 07:36:28 pm »

I meant where to I put the saves in order to play your save,also I use phoebus graphics set so will there be any issues with that?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »

finally i got enough free time to compile a report fot autumn and winter

here it is:
Vabok dasselCatten.
Right after we celebrated the arrival of summer, a fearsome monster from the desert came to seek out blood. We were training at our improvised hall, when suddenly we saw it sitting on the other side of the moat.
It was honey badger - a beast so horrific that giant lions are known to get of its way, and it was in skeletal form. Monster sat, silent and motionless, like if it was waiting for us to come and accept the challenge.
We were cold with fear, and noone dared to come out. None but sister Geshud. We heard her voice
"pull the lever" - she said. I'll go take care of it. I swear i saw the monster grin evilly when brother said that. One of our newcomers ran to push the lever, and Geshud walked slowly to the bridge. It extended swiftly - nice work of Medtob, our mechanic, and they ran toward each other. That fight was a piece of art by Geshud, she never let the monster an opportunity to attack, while landing square hits herself. With a swift and graceful move she
punched the monster in the left rear paw with her right hand and the severed part sailed of on an arc! We were seeing already that monster is defeated and rushed to the entrance to chase it down in case in decides to run away, but something strange happened. Badger stood up on his three remaining legs, and a cloud of dust came up from earth and cloaked the monster hiding it from our sight. Enraged, dwarf kicked through the dust cloud, but her foot met nothing - there was no badger anywhere. Still, it was a victory well worth celebrating!   
Five days later, our monastery was attacked again by the evil forses. Someone had let the entrance brigbe extended after badger combat, and huge skeletal camels saw a quick way inside.
our dogs attacked them, but their deaths bought us only a few minutes. It would be too late for us to rush for the bridge-controlling lever, and we went to fight the undead face to face!
Only two camel could break through cage traps, but in my opinion even one is too much.
This time sister Zuntir lead six our new apprentices in battle, but she was unlucky in that battle. Monster's bones were too hard for her fist to shatter, and it stroke back, bashing her to the ground and bruising her heart with a powerfull kick. The camel could land one more blow before she scrambled away and her apprentices came to the resque. They flailed at the camel so madly that it haven't a single chance to start another attact, and finally in disappeared in a dust cloud after Zuntir punched his tooth off. The second camel was promtly swarmed over and kicked into non-existance.

The next two months were quiet and non-descript.
We continued on our daily work, fiinshing the wall around the monastery and making a few stone mugs for the caravan to come. Another group of dwarves, desiring to excel at martial arts, arrived at our monastery. One of them was a Talented Kicker, and, respecting his skill, we allowed him to have his apprentices in a squad of his own. Autumn caravan wes in time, and we were glad that our small monastery is not forgotten up at mountainhome. We chatted lively with merchants and caravan guards while Medtob was discussing more pressing and business-like matters with their leader, Ustuth Fashlogem. We also exchanged pump components we no longer needed and a few stone mugs for a bag of rock nuts and an anvil. We enjoyed the two quiet autumn month when no skeletal monsters ambushed us and no deadly menace shone over the monastery, but with the start of winter they ended abruptly.
With the first winter day, cold wind brough skeletal birds again upon us. Vultures descended from the cloudy skies right in the monastery's yard and started clwing and biting around. There were six of them, but two got caught in our cage traps. Despite their unearthly rage, birds were still not a match to a trained dwarf, and the battle was ended in minutes. Caged one were taken down to the stockpile. We seem to have collected quite an undead zoo.

Next time the evil spirits attacked from within our monastery. One of Zuntir's apprentices, Dodok Oddombesmar the farmer, missed the morning mediatation, and Zuntir said he was posessed by some unknown forces. We hoped his soul would be able to prevail, creating an artifact and banishing the evil force posessing him into it. We tried to help him as much as we could and gather everithing he demanded. On the 7th of Opal, the first artifact of Fightclub was finished - Muzish Tad, a fungiwood harp. Although noone of us can extract any muzish from, it's undoubtedly an example of superior craftsdwarfship.
It has two images on ot, the first one relates to the ascension of Monom BoltKnives, the warrior-king of the Second Dynasty, to the throne in 28, and the second is far more creepy. It depicts a monstous head flying over the sandy hills on bat wings. A note explains that the monster is Dosla Tearzeal the hungry head, and it's traveling in the Dune of Crucifying. Medtob said that head is featured in the goblin legends as one of minor desert monsters, but is not particularly famous for anything.
You might be wondering why it is me, Vabok Dasselcatten, writing these words about the winter's history of our monastery as well as the autumn's. The answer is, it was brother Earthenfury whom we had chosen to do this, but soon after that he told me confusedly that he didn't know how to read and write. He sits aside me now, and we are trying to remember and write down our history together. I hope he'll smile when he reads these words.
On the 5th of moonstone, a group of newcomers met with Medtob and me and they told us we should have a place to sleep and eat. I didn't understand them at first, but that's my fault - i was living  aside from any civilization for too long, and i got out of the habit of having a bed or a table with chairs. We agreed though - a little bit of comfort never hurts, especially for our newer monks. We spent winter months building two neat stone houses in the southeastern and northeastern corners of the wall. Valican, Geshud and two masons furnished them properly, and now we have a communal dormitory and our dining room is almost complete, too.

Monks have now a dormitory, almost finished dining hall, operational clothing, beekeeping, food and booze industries. They are organized in three squads on inactive duty and traind whenever they have free time. No newcomers reached novice level though.  Down there we have cassiterite and tetrahedrite, a marble layer, bituminous coal and some clay. Four caged skeletal camels can be used against ambushers if we devise a way to do do. They've got enough seeds for a farm, too. They can make some stone crap or a bronze serrated disc to sell to elves.

Having completed my turn, i retire as Sakzul UrvadTenshed the broker and weaponsmith. Maybe i'll someday forge a legendary weapon for our weaponmasters.
this is the save http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4525

2UltraValican:
If you ask how to play downloaded save game then you should unzip it and place it in your /data/save folder, renaming if nesessary (it's called region2 now). I never played with graphics so i can't help here sadly.

EDIT: I supposed to play this fort at 0 popcap (for a while at least). If you don't have specific plans for more dwarves, i'd like you to set popcap to 0 in d_init.txt. It'll keep things a bit easier, too, with fewer goblins and less food consumption. We're at 20 dwarves now, and are eligible for moods when noone is drafted.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:49:00 pm by nanomage »

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »

Got the save running, but you might want to givve the turn to someone else cause I encountered FUN  fast.........we went from 21(aparently we had a harlot in our midst) to 7 dwarves..........most of those dwarves  are either too injured or insane too continue. I'll post a log of what happened but I think the succesion should go on onger so feel free to disregard my turn/ skip me.
- edit maybe that might  change most of the dwarves calmed down don't scratch me off just ywt any way heres the log,
Diary of Valican first and last practioner of the fist of the beard hair
A feeling of pure dread hangs over me as I look through the monastery, no plants, no food; only one unit of alcohol left...the skeletal moans of the beasts of the wilds beckoning us...
After recognizing the food crises I had several rock pots made and ordered the farms onto a schedule, in the meanwhile I had gathered plants from the caverns....vegetation there was scarce...and goddess forgive me...gobbled down half of the plants the moment they were picked but, we eventual scraped together. Then I had my meditation interrupted by the crying of a newborn....
Apparently Stukud and Sokzul gave in to the sins of lust...I am not sure WHERE exactly considering we only have a dormitory. Or why. Considering several monks run off to catch vermin.

Hunger and sobriety has driven me to make a challenging decision...Elves have arrived.....and instead of turning these traders away I had the eastern wall torn down and a depot built...my plain was to trade some of our silk for vital wine and food but, someone accidentally offered them wood...and at that moment the camels swarmed the caravan.......there were many casualties including, now I must attempt drive away this scourge.
The diary was found on the corpse of an unnamed dwarf by a group of archaeologists

Another diary was found by a dwarf by the name of a dwarf by the name of Limongasol
As a holy woman I must lament the deaths of all but 7 of our monks in the monastery, but I am f*cking ESTACTIC about all this freed up food from when we charged the fleeing elves for food the other monks said its was to stop them from running into the camels but deep down I knew there true intentions..Goddess forgive us of .
Anyway, I am not always this cynical but all but two of the dwarves who just calmed down are doing pretty well. It is almost disturbing how happy the militia captain is...he has lost his HAND AND HIS LOVER IS DEAD but is still as cheery as an elf on herbs...
EarthenFury seems to be the most mentally unstable considering he had to hall a stinking ewe corpse from the farms, and afterwards knocked over a mason’s workshop.
I'm not sure how we'll be able to get ourselves out of this
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 04:06:38 pm by UltraValican »
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 [2]