Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burying limbs  (Read 726 times)

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burying limbs
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »

Today I learned that, while it is excellent to have a well in the hospital, it is perhaps not so good to supply the well from the first cavern via a long and completely unguarded shaft.

On a related note, I've just killed my first Forgotten Beast, a blind sparrow with a shell that entered the fort via the hospital and killed a few animals, a couple of (I think) useless dwarfs, and took one arm each off my original manager/bookkeeper/leaderbloke and some other passerby before a squad of miners tore into it with pickaxes.

The problem is - what do I do with the limbs? They're sitting in the main hallway occasionally producing miasma. They're not being taken to the catacombs. I've assigned two coffins to the newly amputee'd dwarfs but no-one's taking the limbs then either. Shall I just chuck them down the garbage chute?
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Burying limbs
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:52:38 pm »

Do you have a refuse stockpile? They should automatically be sent there I think. Else upgrade that pile into graveyard/corpses too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 04:55:11 pm »

They should be stored in a refuse/corpse stockpile.

Once the dwarf dies, be it from old age or an unfortunate accident, the limb will be buried with the rest of the dwarf. So long as the rest of the dwarf is still alive it will just sit in the stockpile.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:01:17 pm »

Really, body parts are reunited in death?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:08:01 pm »

Really, body parts are reunited in death?

No combined back together no, but they're placed in the coffin together.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »

depending on your 'o'rders menu settings, any bits of your own dwarves that get chopped off can get autoforbidden. You should check to see they are unforbidden, if no one is hauling them to your morgue stockpile.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »

In general, any body part, be it corpse or limb, that belongs to a dead member of your fortress or a dead pet should be taken to a proper coffin or, if none is available, to a corpse stockpile. This is NOT a refuse stockpile, which can accept any other corpse or body part.

Limbs of alive members of your fortress probably go to one of those 2 stockpiles, I'm not sure which.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »

Generally, corpse stockpile is for useless stuff.  Refuse is for workable things like butcherable corpses.

Urist McBusDriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 06:12:11 pm »

I just chucked them down the garbage chute. I don't have garbage stockpiles - I have two chutes. A deep one for normal stuff and live goblins (until I get round to learning how to train a military, and then I'll feed the goblins to the trainee axedwarves) and a short one with a drawbridge at the bottom for atom-smashing low-quality furniture and unwanted stone. The dwarf's arms are at the bottom of the long chute, under a LOT of goblin limbs, and presumably someone will collect them when those dwarves die.

Thanks for the help!
Of course, since he doesn't actually walk around counting things, we can only assume that bookkeeping time is spent in deep meditation, psychically sensing exactly how many piles of orthoclase there are. It takes a while to hone a skill like that.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »

I just chucked them down the garbage chute. I don't have garbage stockpiles - I have two chutes. A deep one for normal stuff and live goblins (until I get round to learning how to train a military, and then I'll feed the goblins to the trainee axedwarves) and a short one with a drawbridge at the bottom for atom-smashing low-quality furniture and unwanted stone. The dwarf's arms are at the bottom of the long chute, under a LOT of goblin limbs, and presumably someone will collect them when those dwarves die.

Thanks for the help!

Actually, after dumping something, it is auto-forbidden. No one will ever collect them unless you unforbid them.
Kudos to your well-organized dumping scheme.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]