Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How would I attract goblins?  (Read 1446 times)

Kellaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How would I attract goblins?
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

Or anything else to attack me? Ive recently put the finishing touches on my prisoner drowning machine and want to throw something other than camels in it.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How would I attract goblins?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »

Increase your population size and wealth. Or mod goblins to come at lower population/exported wealth.

Kellaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:12:54 pm »

Would I keep building things like crossbows n such to increase wealth?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:40:29 pm »

Maybe reduce the amount of weapons you are making. I would be less likely to invade a guy who makes M-16's for a living, than say a guy who makes gold bars, and braces for his weak wrists.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:16:50 pm »

And of course make sure you actually embark somewhere with others civs.

Maybe reduce the amount of weapons you are making. I would be less likely to invade a guy who makes M-16's for a living, than say a guy who makes gold bars, and braces for his weak wrists.
...Is that kind of "fortress reputation" actually implemented in DF?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:41:52 pm »

Attackers ONLY look at created wealth and population.  Make ☼Platinum Statue☼'s or ☼Large Serrated Steel Disks☼'s and watch them flock to you.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 07:11:23 pm »

If they knew your fortress's immense wealth was due to the thousands of serrated steel disks and masterwork mechanisms it manufactures, I'm sure they would think at least twice about trying to take your stuff.  Since they show up anyway, I'm pretty sure DF only looks at the value to see if you are ripe for ambushes/sieges, and ignores just how you got to such wonderfully high numbers. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 07:15:28 pm »

I dunno, every ambush lends no survivors, or else gives only a few wounded goblins to return to their town and gibber softly about the amount of blood, and the hundreds of sawblades bigger than a human, all coming crashing down on them.  Then they return, the next season, to witness their captured breatheren thrown from the tower walls, their liberated limbs hitting the newest ambushers and bruising them, and yet they move forward...

Goblins are only a bit smarter than dwarves, after all goblins will flee when injured.  But only a LITTLE smarter, mind you...

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:33:12 pm »

Attackers ONLY look at created wealth and population.  Make ☼Platinum Statue☼'s or ☼Large Serrated Steel Disks☼'s and watch them flock to you.
And yet in my current fortress, at 33M dwarfbucks, I have yet to see a single goblin... I checked Legends to make sure they existed close enough, they were present in the neighbourging civs at embark... I will end up figuring out why they're absent. War with humans or elves is next. Or letting the cutie kobolds get away with masterwork crafts instead of chopped off heads.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 07:41:28 pm »

That's because goblins tend to die off in worldgen without a bit of modding and/or luck.  Their tower exists, but no actual goblins.

Chocolatemilkgod

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding fortesses with magma since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:15:52 pm »

Weird fact: Making traps will help defend you, but because of their massive value they will also attract uninvited Fun.
Dwarf 1: This is the worst part... The calm before the battle.
Dwarf 2: And then the battle is not so bad?
Dwarf 1: Oh...right. I forgot about the battle.