Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Long Distance Travel Tip  (Read 737 times)

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Long Distance Travel Tip
« on: February 28, 2011, 08:39:39 pm »

So, some tips on long distance travel into the deep jungles and deserts, far from civilization.

First off, don't bother until you're pretty legendary. Unless you're heading off to kill a titan, it's not really worth traveling more than a half-day from a town or hamlet, also, you're unlikely to survive.

Secondly, bring a couple companions with you - they won't save you from being killed in your sleep, and they'll be torn apart if you encounter bogey-men, but here's what they WILL do for you on a long, multi-day journey into the wilderness...

Once you're about a half-day's walk from down, drop into local view and ask one of your companions about services. After he's done telling you to walk half-way across the world to talk to some idiot in a castle, he'll start giving you quests - local ones. Keep pestering him until he tells you about a nearby lair.

Go to the lair, murder its inhabitant(s) and sleep there - don't bother to sleep all the way until dawn, you should be setting out by around 3am if you can manage it (the bogey-men usually attack right around midnight). Keep on towards your ultimate destination until about noon, then bother your companions for more 'local' quests. Strangely enough they always seem to know about the local lairs, regardless of how far you drag them into the middle of nowhere. Using this method you can - in theory - cross almost any expanse of wilderness.

Eventually you'll reach your destination. Don't worry if all your companions get slaughtered fighting the Titan Crystalline Scorpion, or whatever it turns out to be - all those lairs you stepped between on the way out will make fine rest stops on the way back.

KarolineDianne

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorcerer of Chaos
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart
Re: Long Distance Travel Tip
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:23:03 pm »

Having just one person with you completely prevents bogeys from appearing, as far as I remember.
Urist McSlayerdwarf cancels live: Interrupted by Chaos Sorcerer

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 09:34:08 pm »

It may - I'm not sure - but it doesn't do anything to prevent a kobold from creeping up and slitting all your throats in the middle of the night if you try to sleep in the open. Lairs do seem to prevent that.

minno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:33:26 pm »

I've noticed that you've been making a lot of guides.  Can you try making a page on the wiki (df.magmawiki.com) that compiles all of the guides?  That would be pretty helpful for new players.

Proberoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 05:48:39 pm »

Lairs are amazing for break stops and "homes" due to the safety(after killing the inhabitants of course) and lack of item scatter making them ideal for stockpiling useful stuff.

Also, I've never ever been ambushed by boogeys when I had at least 1 peasant with me, I'm pretty sure that's the deal-breaker for boogey attacks.

The leaving-before-dawn tip is a good one too, since fast travelling will make those few extra hours of darkness pass quickly and with relative safety.