Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Penned animal fight?  (Read 1107 times)

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Penned animal fight?
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:39:15 pm »

So in my latest fortress, I'm tired of all the puppies and dogs running around the place, slowing my dwarves down on their daily trips to whatever. So I do the normal thing and cram them into a tiny area with a pen/pasture zone.
However I notice however that the reports notice keeps popping up on the side of the screen (a red r in the top left in-case you don't know). It turns out the dogs don't like lying on each other a lot and keep scratching or even biting their neighbours.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All these range from 'puppy scratches the dog' to 'dog bites the dog! It laches on firmly!'. It seems they're drawing blood as well because when I moved them there was a large patch of 'dog blood' where they left.

So anyone else found this?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Penned animal fight?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:01 pm »

Yes, anytime any animal gets too crowded for too long it starts lashing out. Haulers pets can have this problem is they spend most of their time in busy 1-tile wide corridors and sleep in a dormitory as well.

Korva

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Penned animal fight?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

Yeah they do get grumpy now. I like this change, and the grazing too, since it makes animal a little more realistic.

For non-grazers, cramming 'em into a cage still works -- for now. I expect they will eventually need food as well.