Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: animals get hungry  (Read 10987 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: animals get hungry
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »

I can foresee a future where rock nuts are grown only as feed, being pressed to collect the precious press cake while discarding the gallons of oil.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2011, 01:07:46 pm »

I can foresee a future where rock nuts are grown only as feed, being pressed to collect the precious press cake while discarding discharging the gallons of boiling oil.
Fixed.  ;)
Memento Mori

K17U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2011, 02:48:51 pm »

Now I want to be able to ignite oil barrels and use them as catapult ammo.

TheDistur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2011, 10:19:31 pm »

I had some elephants. Must have neglected them in their cages too long. They were in the pasture a while and ate a lot but still starved to death eventually. Such a waste. Does it need to rain/flood for grass to grow back? It doesn't seem to grow back yearly or anything.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2011, 11:55:21 pm »

So, I'm using the pasture feature to make guard posts for my war animals. Set up a few here and there, have constant war dogs guarding every important place. And it stops the hundred dogs from following the trainer. It's quite useful so far. Anything else cool people have figured out?
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2011, 11:58:57 pm »

You can use them to keep cats that haven't adopted any one yet in your food stock piles away from your cave spider silk farms.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2011, 02:48:04 am »

At present, there is no animal feed aside from grass and moss.  And the only chance I see for animals to survive in a freezing biome is to dig like crazy to the cavern and lay pasture on all the moss and fungus there.

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2011, 02:03:31 am »

Well I finally got a chance to try it out.  It looks like animals will eat snow covered grasses until that runs out.  Then as soon as I dug out an open area in soil grass started to grow so I made a pasture underground. Then a cave croc. came to create alot of fun.  I abandon fort with two dwarves left unconcious.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2011, 02:59:56 am »

Now I want to be able to ignite oil barrels and use them as catapult ammo.

You can DROP them, though. That must be worth something, right? Then they do the boozesplosion trick, except that this time it's flammable.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2011, 08:26:15 am »

In the name of science, I think I'll plonk my water buffalos in separate pastures and see how quick they strip 'em bare.

I did some science, too, with the more reasonably-maintainable goats and sheeps (GRAZER:1200).  I pastured one each in a 2x2, 2x3, and 3x3 pasture area.  The grass was all dense when it started.  At the end of about 3 months of game time, the 2x2 pasture was almost entirely bare; the 2x3 was slightly more robust; and the 3x3 was still hanging in there.  It appears that grass growth is triggered by the presence of high-density grass, so your field will settle into one of two stable equilibria: stripped bare, or sustained growth. 

Small pastures are a hassle because of the tug-of-war problem, so for now I'm using very large pastures in soil layers, with a farmer's workshop set up in the field.  I like to set the entrance to the pasture area as a Restricted Traffic area, and designate a High Traffic area as a bypass, so that my dorfs don't trample the grass. 

I also did an experiment to see if muddying the grass had any impact on its growth, but I could not detect any difference.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

BlastoiseWarlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2011, 01:57:01 pm »

Elephants cant even feed themselves, as they are unable to move fast enough to get more grass. Dalthras and Rhinos are JUST barely able to feed themselves
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]