Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military issues  (Read 1883 times)

Wavey54

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military issues
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:24 pm »

So I've built a barracks, equipped my soldiers, set them to train 2 months on, 1 month off, have them on active with orders to train with a minimum of two individuals, but they still do nothing. FUCKING HELL, also, in the units screen, none of them are set as "soldier" or "recruit" or some such job title. Anyone think they can help?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Military issues
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:14:44 pm »

Go to the barracks.
q
Check to make sure that the squad is designated to train there.

Squads will only train at their designated barracks, they don't just claim any available barracks.  You could also set individual barracks, to have one person of a squad train here, and another person of the same squad train elsewhere.  I'm not sure if this will cause multiple sparring matching...

Wavey54

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:16:01 pm »

That wasn't the problem, they're assigned to train in one room and sleep in another.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »

Did you change this and get them to work?

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:34 am »

Double check to make sure that your squads are set to the right alert level for the orders you gave. For example, if the orders you set were set for "Active/Train" then the m a screen needs to show an A next to the squad name when you select Active/Train. Squads default to Inactive, but the schedule screen seems to default to Active/Train so unless you set orders for the Inactive state or changed them all to Active/Train then they'll essentially have no orders. This is what confused me.

Supposedly there will never be more than one sparring match going on per training area no matter how many soldiers are training there, but I believe that multiple soldiers can watch one soldier give a "demonstration" so how many dwarves you assign to each training area kind of depends on whether you want one experienced soldier to teach lots of less experienced ones at one time, or if you want lots of sparring.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 08:20:08 am »

So I've built a barracks, equipped my soldiers, set them to train 2 months on, 1 month off, have them on active with orders to train with a minimum of two individuals, but they still do nothing. FUCKING HELL, also, in the units screen, none of them are set as "soldier" or "recruit" or some such job title. Anyone think they can help?
See above.

Also, the minimum number of individuals means how many of them will be on duty at a given time. With your setting, 2 soldiers will be on duty at a time, with the adequate title like "recruit", training in the barrack or defending the burrow or whatever. The other squad members will be on civilian duty, with the title associated to their highest non-combat skill, and hauling stuff if you activated them that job. When one of the 2 active soldiers goes to sleep, he enters civilian duty and changes title accordingly. He gets replaced by an available off soldier.

Setting that "minimum" to 10 means all squad members are always on whatever schedule you set them. Setting that "minimum" to 2 means only 2 of them will follow the schedule at a time.

Note that if you give them a direct order (move, kill, ...), EVERY squad member will enter their soldier job and follow the order, regardless of the "minimum" setting.

Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.