Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cows vs Sheep: grazing types  (Read 666 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cows vs Sheep: grazing types
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:48 am »

1  elephants can't eat fast enough to survive.
2  historically, sheep farmers and cow ranchers got into it over the animals different eating patterns

Suggestion:
Animals should have bite sizes (more/less grass eaten per eat action) and minimum grass sizes (below this amount of grass, animal won't eat it.)

This would be FUN@

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Cows vs Sheep: grazing types
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:39 am »

I've recently been talking about this in several different threads...

Thing is, the amount of food the animals eat is directly proportionate to their species' average size alone.  Toady obviously just sat down dividing the number 60,000,000 by the animal's average size.

Meanwhile, the animal's milk production is oddly the same no matter the creature size, making goats the best milk-producers, since they are fairly small and eat little.  Cows are only useful for the meat they produce.

Thing is, making the amount of food a creature eats derived from its size is not a bad idea by itself, but we can make the game calculate out that part on its own, so that larger or smaller versions of the same animals eat more or less food.  What should go into the raws is something about metabolism so that you can throttle up or down how much food that animal needs to eat per mass of the creature. 

Likewise, the size of the cow or goat should have a direct impact on how much milk it can produce, with a variable that makes cows much better milk producers for their size than a horse is.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare