Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crashing, what do?  (Read 724 times)

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
Crashing, what do?
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:28:53 am »

For some reason DF has started crashing constantly.  Guessing something is goofed in the current fortress (year 2).  The previous two in this world worked great.  So, what do you guys normally do if this kind of crashing occurs?  Abandon and new embark?

Currently using .19 and really enjoying it.  Metals on this fort were gold and tetrahedrite (copper/silver).  I'm honestly afraid to roll the bones again on another embark and get worthless/zero metals.. eek!

Actually, i just tried it again and noticed df.exe is taking up close to 512mB memory out of 4gB available.  It usually doesn't get that big.. could that be it?  The embark size was 6x4 this time and usually 5x5.  Thanks in advance for any helpful comments!
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Crashing, what do?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 04:37:30 am »

Check the error log.  It's a .txt file in the main DF folder.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 08:01:07 am »

Thanks.  It is jam packed with "path fail" and "loop path fail".  However there isn't any timestamps in the log so i have no idea when these failures occurred.  But that must be what is causing the crashing. 

Made a backup and abandoned/re-embarked.  New embark has limonite :) .. new embark has an aquifer :(   First time breaching one..
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 08:10:01 am »

The errorlog rarely, if ever, logs anything to do with crashes. I know it's academic now but if anything like this occurs again, take a look at the bug tracker and filter by severity "crash" to see if you can get anything matched up.

For posterity, the errors you mentioned aren't serious and shouldn't be causing much of a problem.