Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure pump  (Read 496 times)

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure pump
« on: February 26, 2011, 07:10:37 pm »

It would be cool to have some sort of pressure pump, to regulate water floor.  This would be similar to a floodgate.

For example, I dug a tunnel straight down about 6 levels ... then I dug right a few cells, and then up 3 levels.  So, the tunnel was shaped like a J.  Then, at the top of the J, I filled it with water. On level 3 (at the lower end of the J), I made a well. So, when the water dropped 5 levels, the water went all the way down the tunnel, then back up to level 3 ... but it ended up flooding the room (too much pressure from the top). 

A solution is to make a floodgate at the bottom, but then you need to make sure you close that gate .... or else your stuck with tons of water.

It would be similar is design to a floorgate ... but upon placement, you choose how many levels the pressure will regulate. 1 will fill just the ajoining room. 2 will fill the ajoining room and one above. You can use a level to turn it ON or OFF (OFF lets the pressure go, ON regulates the flow). Etc.

I've flooded alot of rooms with this little problem...

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure pump
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 07:44:39 pm »

Diagonal tunnels drop the pressure to 0.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

jabbamonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:31:37 pm »

Hmmmm. Interesting. Didn't know that. From a "real world" view, that doesn't seem to make sense. More of a technical glitch. But it'll solve my problem for now.  :) 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:50:22 pm »

Diagonals are a way that this problem can be handled in an "exploit" fashion.  You can also just create a pump that pumps the water up the last z-level you want the water to be while blocking off all other ways the water can go.  Water is "pressurized" to fill up to the highest point that water is being added to it, but out of a pump, you are creating two different "bodies" of water, and pressure from one body of water is not applied to the pressure of the next.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare