Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pig iron / steel production stopped  (Read 625 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pig iron / steel production stopped
« on: February 12, 2012, 10:54:02 am »

This started halfway through my last fortress and seems to have carried on into a new fortress / world, right now I have a functional magma smelter and access to marble for flux which and iron bars that I'm smelting from limonite, in the last fortress I had standard forges but still had plenty of coke for fuel. When I select pig iron (in red) on my smelter's job list it has "takes place at smelter" in red and "requires fuel" is in yellow, does anyone half an idea of what I may have done wrong? Marble is unreserved and green in the stones menu, but switching it to reserved makes no difference anyway, also my smelters are still capable of producing other ores that are available to me such as electrum and billon.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Pig iron / steel production stopped
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:58:54 am »

needs fuel as charcoal source

from the wiki:

To smelt steel, you will need iron ore, flux stone, and fuel. Flux is used to remove carbon during the smelting process, while fuel (coke or charcoal) puts it back in. The end result is steel: iron with just the right amount of carbon in it

using magma smelters removes the need for fuel, but you still need a piece as carbon source.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:00:37 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pig iron / steel production stopped
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 11:02:04 am »

needs fuel as charcoal source

from the wiki:

To smelt steel, you will need iron ore, flux stone, and fuel. Flux is used to remove carbon during the smelting process, while fuel (coke or charcoal) puts it back in. The end result is steel: iron with just the right amount of carbon in it

using magma smelters removes the need for fuel, but you still need a piece as carbon source.

Oh okay, this is my first time using magma forges, didn't realize that. I wonder what happened at my last fortress then. Ah well, thanks for the quick answer.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.