Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AfterWorld mod (in the works)  (Read 1364 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
AfterWorld mod (in the works)
« on: February 25, 2011, 06:40:02 pm »

Hello everyone. I'm currently working on a mod I'm calling AfterWorld.

Basically the premise is that humanity has been nearly wiped out due to something loosely referred to as 'the great war'. Only three factions of humans have survived.

Cyborgs, a group of religious nuts who tout the advancement of humanity through assimilation with machinery. They live like savages, hunting down what little remains of humanity. The borging process is a nightmarishly painful procedure, many don't survive. The cyborgs themselves still have squishy parts, but they are assisted by their 'hunter dogs', mechanical beasts, red dots glare out of dark pitted eyes, the dogs have no mercy, and are known to rip captured humans apart one limb at a time.

The Old Corporations, a conglomerate of various corporations that survived the war, they build massive complexes with high walls, plumes of smoke are consistantly billowing out of them. Even though civilization was wiped out, they continue mining the earth and industrializing everything. They are led by a group of shady individuals called 'the council', who overwatch everything inside their complexes, nothing escapes their eyes. They are slave drivers, working people to near death, but it's either that or being outside, hunted.

The humans. These would be your good guys. They build settlements hidden in the hills, grouping up to defend themselves. They hold on to the morals and ethics of previous societies. They are going to be the main playable race.

Creatures of the Underdark. Fourth faction. No one knows why they're here or why they chose now, but we do know that there are an increasing number of their fortresses sprouting up all over the world. Some say they are here to destroy us, others say they were pushed out of the caverns by an even darker force. Either way, the truth is far from recoverable, they keep no contact with the outside world, refusing to let anyone even come close to their towers.

Spoiler: my brainstorming notes (click to show/hide)

Tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:39:53 pm by darkrider2 »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: AfterWorld mod
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 07:02:38 pm »

Not bad sound good. hmm your plant idea reminds me of Tiberium
Anyways sounds cool..
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:53:25 pm »

Okay, this is something I look forward to. I like the theme, and I wanted to mod some stuff from HL2 (striders, flying synthetic ships) into Wasteland when I add enclave, so we may have similar intersecting robot creatures :). And yeah, the theme is really nice, did you just make it up for the mod, or do you have some other fiction based on it?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:00:27 am »

I made most of it up when I wrote the brainstorming notes. I knew I wanted to do something post-apocalyptic. Originally the cyborgs were just going to be robots, so you could say I was drawing a bit out of Enslaved: odyssey (sp?) to the west. But then I couldn't think of a good background for them, so I made it cyborgs that use robots to help them and it all started fitting together from there.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 10:29:22 am »

Oh, I see what it reminds me now.

Some time ago I was developing a mod about people who crash-landed on a deserted planet. There was "Dominion", a group organized by the high command of the ship and basically a slaver-type society, also "tribes" which were groups of people from maintenance and supply groups which are basically free small societies, and there were "junkers", robots which evolved from a crashed alien spaceship, and they consider the "junk" (the planet was inhabited long time ago, but now you have only ruins in the sand) of the planet to be holy artifacts of the ancestor race, so they try to preserve it (while you harvest it for various reasons, the junk piles replace wood).

So we have some similar ideas here, cool :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:25:42 pm »

ah yeah, I was going to add metal trees, but I hear that it's impossible to make trees drop metal bars. I'll probably mess around in reactions to see if i can't get metal tree logs to smelt down or something.