Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skills you can't learn from scratch / skills you can't be taught in 4.03.1  (Read 3795 times)

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm more liberal than you are!
    • View Profile
    • The Liberal Crime Squad wiki

Hello everyone, this question is fairly simple. First off, there is a list of skills at http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills which might not be up to date for the latest version, 4.03.1. Anyway, I have a question that I would like everyone who knows anything about this to answer, well actually 2 questions technically.

Part 1) Which skills can't be learned from scratch? For instance, if your skill level for something is 0, which skills are you unable to learn by doing (for instance Computers and First Aid, and possibly Security, I think)? And which skills can't be learned by doing at all even if you have a point in them (for instance Religion and maybe also Business, I think)?

Part 2) Which skills can't be taught? Like if you are teaching other Liberals skills (which costs money), which are the ones you can't teach them (I think this would include Teaching, and it used to include Leadership, maybe a few others)?

Oh and there's also a part 3 I thought of:

Part 3) Which skills can be used by Conservatives to resist brainwashing (i.e. Business, Religion, Science, I think) and what are the ways those can be learned? Like can you learn them by talking to people about issues or by interrogating prisoners or stuff like that?

And of course I just thought of a part 4:

Part 4) Which skills were added or removed or renamed in recent versions (like Leadership was removed I think, and Psychology used to be called Interrogation I think)?

Anyway, anyone who knows the answers to any of these questions please post a response to this so I can figure out this whole thing with skills. I've noticed at least one change. It seems in recent versions the skill Security, used to pick locks, cannot be trained unless you already have 1 point in it already (similar to Computers and First Aid, I think). And if Leadership is gone, what is used to determine maximum follower count? Just Juice and Liberal Rank?

O.K. I guess that's more than one question. :P Well please post answers to that stuff here so I can figure this out. Then I'll see if I can get all the info onto the wiki at http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills so people can keep track of it. Thanks everyone. The reason I'm asking is if you are one of the people who helps write the game or knows the source code or plays it a lot you might know stuff about this I don't so I'd like to be able to sort of have a more complete guide to skills on the wiki at http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills than it has currently, but I don't have enough information yet to make a guide like that. I've played this game a few years on occasion and some of the changes in the newer versions I don't quite understand fully with regard to skills, especially the big surprise I found in the latest version when I couldn't just send an amateur out to try to pick locks in apartments to learn Security when they didn't have that skill yet. A comprehensive list of each of these kinds of skills that's harder to learn in some way (can't learn by doing, need at least one point to learn by doing, or can't be taught by someone else) would really help and maybe we could make one of those lists together or something. Anyway please help me figure this out so we can get it on the wiki and then not have any trouble understanding this anymore, and so other people can understand this stuff about how to learn each skill also. The descriptions on the wiki of how to learn each skill are not that good and don't cover these questions I am wondering about, and might even have some inaccuracies but I'm not really sure.
The Liberal Crime Squad wiki is your friend.

Quote from: Lielac
Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skills you can't learn from scratch / skills you can't be taught in 4.03.1
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »

Thanks for doing the Wiki. I think you've got the right idea for most of them.

Things of note:
Cooking was removed recently.
The "flamethrower" skill has been replaced by a more generic "heavy weapons" skill
Dodge can't be taught by liberals or learned at the university
You are right that security can't be learned from scratch
A liberal CAN learn computers from scratch, but only if someone who already has points in that skill is assigned to hacking
Leadership is gone and Juice is the only determinant of followers now
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:25:44 pm »

Thanks, Karlito, I have updated the page at http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills to include as much as I know along with what you said, but if anyone finds any errors or things left out please list them here and/or fix it on the http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills page on the wiki.

Edit: Figured it out via a little bit of trial and error and oH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT IS THIS MUSIC WHAT THE HECK IS IT SPACEBALLS MUSIC? WHATEVER IT IS IT IS MAGICAL

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:37:20 pm »

Small correction, you can take gymnastics classes to learn dodge at the university.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:48:38 pm »

Thanks Jonathan, I fixed that on the wiki... so the only skill you can't learn from being taught by other Liberals or attending the University is Teaching, apparently. http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills should be more accurate now.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 07:14:11 pm »

you can learn Teaching at the university its called Education

Sundial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:08:48 pm »

You can learn Computers by doing opinion polls.

SMG, Throwing, and Knife skill can't be learned outside of combat, and aren't generated by default on any creature, although they can occur randomly. SMG skill is especially rare, because it is almost never selected as a random skill. Heavy weapons skill is only generated on a single creature type under unusual circumstances.

The scarcity of SMG skill makes it really unattractive. There's no reason to learn how to use an SMG the hard way when you can get someone to teach you how to use a rifle, especially since the automatic rifles are better than an SMG in almost every way.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 08:34:26 pm »

SMGs are now significantly more accurate than Assault Rifles, since they don't have the increased successive shot penalty they used to, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them. Untrained SMG users are much more likely to hit their enemies than untrained rifle users, and once trained up you should get more multi-hits as well. At the end of the day, the gun that does the most damage is almost certainly the one that hits its target most often. Rifles may do more damage per hit, but that's probably only going to be noticeable if you're trying to punch through body armor, since both weapons do more than enough damage to kill in one hit.

Liberal Elitist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:25:02 pm »

Thank you all, I've updated the page at http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills to be as accurate as possible with what you've posted here, except for the bit "SMG, Throwing, and Knife skill can't be learned outside of combat" posted by Sundial. I thought you can learn all weapon skills from having someone else who knows them teach it to you under teaching option 4 - Fighting and Killing (when you tell one Liberal to (T)each other Liberals). It says it teaches "All Weapon Skills" at the bottom of the screen when you select that option, although I have not looked at the source code, so I don't know for sure, so anyway, http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills should be a fairly good guide to skills now and the part at the bottom of it should be more accurate now.

Sundial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 11:35:10 pm »

SMGs are now significantly more accurate than Assault Rifles, since they don't have the increased successive shot penalty they used to, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them. Untrained SMG users are much more likely to hit their enemies than untrained rifle users, and once trained up you should get more multi-hits as well. At the end of the day, the gun that does the most damage is almost certainly the one that hits its target most often. Rifles may do more damage per hit, but that's probably only going to be noticeable if you're trying to punch through body armor, since both weapons do more than enough damage to kill in one hit.

The M4 carbine has the same accuracy bonus as the SMG, and has much better damage and armor penetration, while the SMG will generally bounce off vests unless you've got really good SMG skill. The accuracy bonus isn't really that valuable anyway; typical conservatives have extremely low dodge rolls, and getting an army veteran to teach agile liberals a single rank of rifle skill boosts their attack rolls more than using an accurate weapon does.

Thank you all, I've updated the page at http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills to be as accurate as possible with what you've posted here, except for the bit "SMG, Throwing, and Knife skill can't be learned outside of combat" posted by Sundial. I thought you can learn all weapon skills from having someone else who knows them teach it to you under teaching option 4 - Fighting and Killing (when you tell one Liberal to (T)each other Liberals). It says it teaches "All Weapon Skills" at the bottom of the screen when you select that option, although I have not looked at the source code, so I don't know for sure, so anyway, http://lcs.wikidot.com/skills should be a fairly good guide to skills now and the part at the bottom of it should be more accurate now.

None of the creature types in the game have any SMG, knife, or throwing skill by default. They can get the skill randomly, but you need at least two ranks in a skill to train others, and the odds of getting more than one or two ranks in a skill randomly are pretty low. Additionally, if SMG skill is generated randomly, it's rerolled 95% of the time, so the odds of getting even one point of SMG skill are very low. You can train liberals in these skills, but the teacher would probably have to learn the skill the hard way.