Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Prisoner Problem  (Read 620 times)

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prisoner Problem
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:23 pm »

Hi all,

For laughs I appointed a captain of the guard to my fortress, and he soon began rounding up offending dwarfs and locking them in cages. I'm fine with it and I find it kind of funny watching them in there, but unfortunately none of them seem to be fed, and they all end up dying of hunger. Normally I would be okay with this but somehow the offending dwarfs are always legendary warriors who I don't really like to lose.

Is this a bug or how do I make sure that these guys get fed? I do have idle dwarfs at almost all times so are they that lazy?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prisoner Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:20 pm »

For laughs I appointed a captain of the guard to my fortress, and he soon began rounding up offending dwarfs and locking them in cages. I'm fine with it and I find it kind of funny watching them in there, but unfortunately none of them seem to be fed, and they all end up dying of hunger. Normally I would be okay with this but somehow the offending dwarfs are always legendary warriors who I don't really like to lose.

Is this a bug or how do I make sure that these guys get fed? I do have idle dwarfs at almost all times so are they that lazy?

I don't know if it's a bug (I never play with justice turned on) but I've read that if you put a food/drink stockpile in the jail where the prisoners can get it and put the prisoners on chains instead of cages (so they can move 1 square), they'll feed themselves.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 10:52:22 pm »

That seems like a good way to solve it.

Thanks, i'll do that for now.

May the mass times acceleration be with you

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:18:48 pm »

The wiki is definitely worth checking out on this subject. To sum up the more important bits: in a cage, a dwarf is forced to sleep on the floor and will only be fed whatever food is brought to them (by idle dwarves with the feed patients/prisoners job enabled. If you instead use only restraints (preferably chains), the dwarf will be able to move around in a 3x3 square around the restraint. The wiki goes on to suggest ways of turning this 3x3 square into a well-furnished, if restrictive, resort. All of these extras aren't really required, but some food and booze will keep you from having to rely on dwarves that are feeling generous to feed your prisoner(s).

And seeing as >90% of my prisoners are in there because of ridiculous or unnoticed noble demands, I don't really mind making it a nice place to be.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:43:11 am »

I've stopped using cages since 0.31.18, when my dwarves were caged to death. Chains are safer in that regard, and you can easily rig a temporary drink/prepared meals stockpile if the prisoner is not fed (assuming you built the chain with some space around it).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »

I treat my prisoners well because they're too stupid to understand proper torture. That and their entire existence is focused on making themselves miserable without any input from me.