Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: New Features explanation  (Read 12567 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: New Features explanation
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2011, 08:41:50 pm »

Yeah those rabbits were hunted.

Also, they've been in my refuse pile for several seasons and haven't rotted yet.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2011, 10:01:38 pm »

Though we've gotten a bit derailed from the 'new features', as far as butcherability goes, here's my experiences in 31.19.

A tame animal's corpse is not butcherable unless it was slaughtered at a butcher shop; old age, starvation, invader violence, etc will yield unbutcherable corpses.  Military kills of wild animals seem to vary - the cavies I'd killed in melee (trapped, attempted to move them between cages, they got loose, and killed) I couldn't butcher, but for the vultures that attempted to steal from me, I could butcher some of the corpses, but not all.  Most of the vulture kills were by an off-duty marksdwarf; I don't know if that would make any difference, thuogh archers tend to yield fewer mutilated corpses.  It could be FuzzyZergling's point about size, with the vultures working simply because they're larger, but it feels counter-intuitive since you can butcher tamed versions of all these animals successfully.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:39 am »

Tamed animals can always be slaughtered, even if they're too small to give any meat or bones.  Slaughtering a kitten or cavy will often give you just a skull.

Wild animal can be butchered no matter how they died, but small animals like cavies or buzzards are often too small to butcher, and mutilated corpses and/or body parts are smaller than whole corpses and so more likely to be too small to butcher.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2011, 01:45:09 pm »

Can anyone confirm that wild animals killed by falls can be butchered? The pedestal drop could work for wild animals atleast.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2011, 02:03:56 pm »

They can.  I used to have something like a SPARTA! pit. Except with some things from Nist Akath's suicide stairway.  Cage a wild animal, build the cage a on the edge, pit the animal into the pit.  Attempt to read the future from the gore splattered engravings based on where limbs landed.

Afterwords my butcher was always happy to convert the mess into meat and bones.

If the refuse pile is outside you may need to have the butchers shop outside as well, I've always had some odd inconsistencies with butchers shops actually deciding to butcher a corpse.  Putting the butcher's shop in the refuse stockpile seemed to reliably get refuse corpses butchered, but I haven't actually applied SCIENCE to try to figure it out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2011, 02:26:34 pm »

When you assign a caged animal to a pasture, don't the dwarves automatically release the animal? I'm sure I've noticed this.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2011, 04:19:35 pm »

I'm talking old style pitting.  Where the dwarf takes the critter out of the cage and throws it into a pit.  Preferably with the cage close enough to the pit for the dwarf to not realize what they are hauling before it learns to fly.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2011, 05:27:26 pm »

When you assign a caged animal to a pasture, don't the dwarves automatically release the animal? I'm sure I've noticed this.

Btw I did check this and this is what happens. I mentioned it in another thread. It makes it much easier with purchasing and taming animals now.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]