Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A short history on Lancetin  (Read 1030 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A short history on Lancetin
« on: May 01, 2011, 11:07:49 am »

The ancient dwarves where expanding. The year was 6 (common) and the mountain homes where fit to burst.  Copper skinned, and hardy, they traveled to the site of Lancetin. Lancetin was founded in the center of a powerful river, and to facilitate dwarven expansion, a bridge (The Old bridge) was built to span the river east to west. The dwarves, whom most where poor, dug into the side of a cliff on the eastern side of the area, and struck gold.
Lots of gold
Upon discovering this massive deposit of potential riches, the dwarves took to building a permanent shelter into the side of the cliff. This period of Lancetin is credited with the name "Cave-years" as production was slow, and works not started.

In the late times of the cave years, once gold smithing had reached its peak, the dwarves where infested by goblin thieves and snatchers. This time in known as "The panicking year" as great calamity and confusion struck the populace.

The dwarves set to the task of building a great fortress on TOP of the land. This was a practice unheard of in these ancient times, and several migrants stood in shock once the great walls were seen.

Lancetin entered its construction phase, and the first trial was presented to the fort. The great beast "the roc" (no kidding) arrived in a maddened rage. It was a great white feathered bird, which was the size of "many dragons". The dwarves assembled a force of untrained crossbow men (later known as conscripts) and took the fight to the enemy. Three where killed before the bird was shot in the left wing, fracturing it. The bird plummeted to earth where it was promptly shot to death (the champion who felled the the roc would later die in battle). The times of construction after the roc was killed was named "The busy times"

Trade was in full swing, earning Lancetin a monopoly on gold goods. Dwarf, Elf, and human alike came to trade in great numbers. This grew the attention of the goblin races, who where jealous of the dwarves’ success so close to their lands. Lucky, the fort's outer walls where completed and Lancetin was secure by a single drawbridge as a choke point. The goblins eventually came to claim what they believed where theirs (suffering and pain apparently) but were repulsed by the conscripts enjoying the advantage of walls and fortifications. These times where known as "the victory times".

Although, things could not stay this way for ever.

The goblins, learning their lesson of ranged warfare, returned with a massive force of bowmen and crossbowmen. They were much better equipped and prepared for the fight, and the legions of conscripts where decimated on the south wall, now coined the "bleeding wall".

The goblins eventually left after being pelted by the odd hunter braving the rain of arrows and bolts. The fortress was saved, though it would never completely recover from the loss. These times where known as "the sad times" (creative eh?)

The fort still stands today, although it is in a slight decline. The population is set at 147, and with every wave of migrants the fort losses more of its former life.

The expedition leader is still alive assuming the role of mayor. Now coined "The fort mother".

----Anyways. I really love this fort. Its not very successful. but it has a rich history and its still growing. some day i might go through the history and attach dates to all these events. The history still continues as the fort is still growing. I may post a update that is more focused if anyone is interested.
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A short history on Lancetin
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:25:04 am »

This reminds me of my old .40d fort Libadbim (Praisesling).

Over 1 year later, and I can still remember all of its great stories.
It's amazing how this game gets to you, eh?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 11:28:55 am »

Yeah. For some reason i like to belive that these little mulicolored faces are alive. lol in a metaphysical sense i guess. I think im the only one on this forum who likes to see my dwarves live happy little lives.
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:32:00 am »

You're not alone-- I just savescummed a perfectly well won siege because the only casualty was the last of four children born to two legendary warriors, both of whom died in seconds of one another in an epic battle that forced the entire fort beneath the surface (and it was a surface fort). I was raising him to be a warrior like his parents, 15 years old and talented axeman, no way, I want to see him get older. Siege re-do
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:38:44 am »

Hah, i can understand that. although i like to let the dice roll on everything. and if the fort dies, more history to look back on.
In my current world, i generated it from the earlyest start year, and my forts will be the dominating presence in time. killing forgotten beats and repulsing goblin armies. Some times i hope that a perfectly well fort will fail just so i can have it in the history log, but i never make one fail my self. i like to think of my self as a silent observer ( although assigning jobs and constuction..meh.)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:00 am »

Also, every single one of my dwarves appear to be copper skinned. lol a big ol' greek fort.
OOOOOOOPPPAAAA~!

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A short history on Lancetin Vol2
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:08:59 pm »

The Dwarves of Lancetin received a period or relative rest after the seige of the bow-goblins. Gold production slowly returned to normal thanks to the return of the new conscripts from active dutey, and by the year 11, both food and drink production exploaded.

However, late into year 11 of Lancetin, The Bronze Colossus Ongong "combatcopper the spear" came, and Lancetin would spiral into near destruction when Ongong charged across the new bridge (the draw bridge) before it could be raised and gained entrey into the still incomplete fortress ground level.

The masons, who where working on installing a floor covering spanning the entire walled fortress, where the first victims of his onslaught. Bodies and building materials where flown about, staining the floors of the keep a dark red. the dwarves had installed a safey measure before even the walls were built for just such an occasion. The only way to the "underfort" (the subterrarian section) Was down a large flight of stairways, connected to the underfort fort by another bridge.

Ongong was trapped by both the secret bridge and the drawbridge inside of the upper fort, cut off from the survivors (whom numbered a still impressive 136 despite the losses from early year 11). The survivors dug form the inside out to the surface, and was still able to recive wood and supplys from trade, with Ongong completely harmless and trapped.

However, with Ongong incapacitated, a goblin seige arrived a month later in autmn led by a master bowman, a master hammerlord, and a master wrestler.

The dwarves, whos military was in complete unreadyness, decided to reseal the new entry way they made. They did this so they could set Ongong back into the world.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »

The dwarves where not quick enough in blocking the wall, and thusly the goblins bypassed the olllll bronze colosus and every one was either killed by him, or the goblins.

And the goblins died as well

THE END!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:58 pm »

wow, what a tale! My most recent The End was due to fps and player boredom.  I agree though, I tend to see my dwarves as protagonists in a story, and I cheer them on, instead of the usual hijinks.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 08:41:38 pm »

hah, dont congradulate me my freind. i just wrote as it happend. Toady has made a wonderful game.