Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: change for constructions  (Read 1482 times)

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
change for constructions
« on: February 26, 2011, 04:05:24 am »

when constructing something make it so you pick a materal type (not an actual specific object, but it should look exactly the same as it looks now) make dwarves run to the construction, prepare the site then find the closest object of the type you specified, fetch it and finish the construction

old system: you make a construction specify specific materials you will use for it since the stone is a specific stone it can obstruct some other construction making it suspend

i think my way just makes more sense

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: change for constructions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 04:23:07 am »

Then you haven't thought it out; pewter isn't gold.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:28:09 am »

Then you haven't thought it out; pewter isn't gold.

from a programmers vieuw, the current system makes more sense, form a game mechanic it does not

if you pick the -tower cap bed- as buidling material, it doesnt matter what -tower cap bed- exactly does get used, the closest makes more sense ofc but this would be picked anyway 90% of times since its at the top of the list

the good part is that the actual bed that is picked is only selected (and locked with being in use, and thus be "in the way for constructions but unmoveable") the moment its needed, not the moment you pick it as a building material for a bed in your bedroom

this would streamline the larger build designations thremendously, with the only negative side effects being a fraction less controle over what <*<-*-tower cap bed-*->*> gets selected exactly... and the increased need for making pre-construction stickpiles so building goes faster
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:32:29 am by blizzerd »

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 05:02:53 am »

It does entirely matter. If I want to build my ARTIFACT tower cap bed in my King's room, and the peasants keep dragging in some crappy one...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 09:10:40 am »

I think that he's saying that you pick 'granite' as a building material rather than 'the closest piece of granite at this very second, which is now marked for a job and can't be moved, nor will a closer piece of granite be used if one becomes available.'

What happens if you designate 4 walls to be made out of 3 pieces of granite?  The individual pieces are no longer tied to the wall, so how does the job creation know that you're out of granite?

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:54 am »

It does entirely matter. If I want to build my ARTIFACT tower cap bed in my King's room, and the peasants keep dragging in some crappy one...

then just pick the artifact in the list, in the code an artifact is an entirely different class then normal objects and even then this would still be listed separately because of all the high quality stuff on it

you would get its artifact name in the list, and since there is only 1 artifact named that way it would work... a bit of logical thinking could have deducted that tbh

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 11:53:00 am »

OK, so leave building furniture, and anything with quality as it is now. What I'd like changed is bulk constructions from no-quality items. I don't care which particular marble stone gets used to build a wall, as long as it gets done fast. How that could work is:

Dwarf with masonry gets selected to build a wall out of marble stone (It still could be specified if you want stone or blocks), he searches for nearest marble (which gets TSK immediately upon selection), grabs it, and goes to build a wall. This would not block and make unmovable on a lot of rocks when I designate 500 tiles of floor. It would also streamline things, as I could designate a 25 space marble stockpile close to my building site. That way haulers would replenish stone in stockpile, and any mason, who gets selected for building one wall after another would go to stockpile rather than all the way to where some marble was when I designated construction of wall. This method could work even better with blocks.

Something similar can be done imperfectly within current system. If I first designate a stockpile for stone for a section of wall, and only designate the wall, after there is enough stone in stockpile. This is annoying. Alternative is to enable masonry on haulers, and profile workshops to only allow real masons to make furniture.

When there is not enough stone of selected type, just suspend construction, and print "construction suspended, because not enough marble". At that point you can mine more marble and unsuspend, or remove it and designate again using another rock type.
Maybe also add a flag to the list of all building materials displayed when constructing, that indicates you currently have more designated constructions from that particular material, than available material.

Is this recurring suggestion clear now?  :-\

EDIT: Actually upon activating a "build wall" job make mason check for distance to closest marble twice: AA closest stone to dwarf, and BB closest stone to construction site. Then choose either AA or BB, depending which means less walking.
Of course any already TSK marble is not taken into consideration when looking for stone to build wall.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:18:30 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 12:01:53 pm »

Anything to stop me having to unsuspend half of every wall and floor I have to construct. I'm all for this sugestion, but only for no quality items. Things like furniture should be left as they are in my opinion, as these are specific items with given quality and material. But choosing to build a wall out of basalt in a freshly hollowed out cavern should not result in hundreds of suspensions by design, and this would be a good way of preventing them.
Absconditus

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 10:55:27 am »

there is no reason why this would affect quality materials you specifically want to have, you just have to be a bit more carefull and pay attention on that

FOR EXAMPLE

if you would have 2 identical objects in both quality, materials used and encrustation but one is very far away and one is very close this system will always opt for the very close one, because it is much more logical to do so, if even one of those properties (encrustment, material, item type, quality etc) is different, it will show up as 2 different items anyway, and thus one has to pick wich one he wants to use in the build menu (BUT THE DWARVES ONLY RESERVE IT FOR BUILDING THE MOMENT IT IS NEEDED, meaning that if it gets destroyed/becomes inaccessible in the meantime, the build will be cancelled)

overall this should increase the speed and fluentness of constructing large projects by a multitude, especially, but not exclusively when you use same type objects (a gazillion tower cap beds with no quality)