Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gold, gold everywhere  (Read 997 times)

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gold, gold everywhere
« on: February 23, 2011, 09:16:19 am »

i got gold and gems veins where my dormitories will be, however i don't want either to have diferent colored walls not "unengraveable dwarven constructed walls"(altough i can carve fortifications on them), neither engraved/unengraved walls, that would also sux.

is there a way to get the gold and still have the place looking like it was only granite from the start and never had gold on it? even if i can blow some of the walls with D+N and some won't, as long as they look the same.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Gold, gold everywhere
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:34 am »

You can not do that ... either settle for coloured gold/gem walls or construct granite walls from blocks.

I'd go with granite blocks walls. Engravings are not that important and they usually make stuff look worse and you could use gold/gems.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 09:44:34 am »

You can not do that ... either settle for coloured gold/gem walls or construct granite walls from blocks.

I'd go with granite blocks walls. Engravings are not that important and they usually make stuff look worse and you could use gold/gems.

You do know you can toggle engravings to look like normal walls and floors, right? And that's there's an init option so you don't have to use the V designation?

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 10:35:09 am »

You do know you can toggle engravings to look like normal walls and floors, right? And that's there's an init option so you don't have to use the V designation?

that sounds like win, i shall try it this night, thx!

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:10:59 pm »

I know it looks unappealing to the eye, but it also boosts the value of the room to have gems and gold in the walls. At least once its engraved.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »

Dig it all out, make arrangements for magma and water, combine into a giant obsidian cast in which you can later dig perfectly uniform, super-dwarfy rooms!

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »

Consider yourself lucky, I have zinc in my walls and could care less if they get dug out or not. Wooden and glass traps, ho!

Dig out the whole room and artificially make walls. In all honesty, a few granite statues would do more good then engraving the wall. Everyone loves furniture.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 04:25:43 pm »

Dig it all out, make arrangements for magma and water, combine into a giant obsidian cast in which you can later dig perfectly uniform, super-dwarfy rooms!

Spot on.  In all seriousness I'd say if it bugs you, level it all and make something awesome out of it. Then rebuild your dormitories somewhere else.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 04:33:17 pm »

Depending on whether you're using tilesets, Phoebus's engraved walls look almost identical to regular walls anyway, so it cán be avoided. ;)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Valguris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 06:57:40 pm »

Drop ceiling and dig again.