Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Nest Boxes?  (Read 12886 times)

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nest Boxes?
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 04:31:53 pm »

I don't think any of the egg-layers are grazers, so having grass isn't an issue.  However, when the clutch hatches there will be trouble because the chicks will crowd around momma, and crowding makes animals violent.  There have been several reports of offspring killing their mother because they were too crowded.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2011, 07:16:52 pm »

Of course, a thief that tries to sneak in via a henhouse will be spotted by the mother creature, who occupies a 1x1 tile directly in the thief's path... much in the way we have used kittens in the past! 

Is this a solid plan, or what?

Very elegant. I like it! And no chaining up anything making it cranky. You could do this with tame animals at your main entrances, as well!

I don't think any of the egg-layers are grazers, so having grass isn't an issue.  However, when the clutch hatches there will be trouble because the chicks will crowd around momma, and crowding makes animals violent.  There have been several reports of offspring killing their mother because they were too crowded.

JMZ

So the 3x3 at least is important.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 02:04:13 am »

I love it how simple thing like nest is source of awesome exploits...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]