Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bridge fall trap  (Read 1497 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Bridge fall trap
« on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:21 pm »

Is it undwarfenly to exploit the fact that enemies are so dumb they run into the same avoidable trap multiple times? Specifically, I have a thin straight path over a volcano with a path made of bridges on either side of it. Though this was origionally intended to make the path more trappable and still have wagon access, I have found that enemies will spread out whenever possible, and move onto the bridge. Even if they narrowly avoided a burning doom from the previous bridge only moments prior. Using this, I just beat two simultaneous sieges using only retracting bridges. (I didn't get their stuff, but I had no weapons to kill them in other ways with).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Bridge fall trap
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »

Many would say "You need to use raw dwarven muscle and axes or else you're an elf" but the truth is "whatever you need to do".  If you're a new player and need to use cage traps to survive, that's fine.  It's single player sandbox, do whatever the hell you want.  Just don't expect to brag about it much.

Just be aware that Toady has threatened to make attackers a bit smarter, by making them avoid areas if they see a trap activated there before.  So, if two goblin squads rush into a corridor and one is shredded by disks, the second squad won't go that way, or else will hesitate for a while until they realize it's the only path.  So, cheap traps like that may not consistently work.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:27:59 pm »

Relax, we all do reasonable things sometimes.
Besides, after obtaining a squad of funobtanium equipped axelords, battles with goblins do not hold much dwarfiness either.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:49:23 pm »

[ETHIC:USE_CHEESY_TACTIC:PERSONAL_MATTER]

I generally prefer to have my dwarves fight it out, but in the latest version that just doesn't seem like an option so you have to do what you have to do.

Ace_Warbringer

• Bay Watcher
  • Swords For Everybody!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:29:40 pm »

i generaly go for the hidiously complicated magma/water drowning trap/burning myself. usualy shaped like a toilet.
Though maybe that's the issue. The concept is just too simple for the dwarven mind to grasp!

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:54:22 pm »

There's plenty of metal to mine from goblins. I can't believe people are still complaining about the lack of weapons; gobbos drop perfectly good weapons.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:43:46 pm »

There's plenty of metal to mine from goblins. I can't believe people are still complaining about the lack of weapons; gobbos drop perfectly good weapons.

As to add insult to injury, you wooden weapons that you get from elves in weapon traps to kill/miam the goblins, I had 3 with 2 spear and 1 sword each and was killing most severely injuring the rest... then I made 3 more with their own weapons
Back to Mafia with me!