Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Incest  (Read 8252 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Incest
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 11:19:27 am »

I... don't think that's what they meant by cradle robbing. They probably just meant that dorfs are less likely to hook up with considerably younger dorfs, though not unheard of. Queen Urist of Blocklance comes to mind -- she was at least seventy years older than the guy she eventually ended up shacking with, if I remember correctly.

Was that during a fort?

The kids in my fort are more like 100-130 years younger than the eligible adults.

I have an unhitched female in my 3-couple fort right now, waiting for the first generation of kids (almost all male) to hid adulthoood and see what happens.  I may have to restart the experiment, though.  An elven donkey got wounded by the skeletal whatnot, kept falling unconscious and running around for about three seasons, being gnawed on by a trio of skeleton mountain goats (who couldn't seem to kill it even while it was out cold), and eventually went mad.  My dwarves looted it while I had a 'make lavish meal' order in the kitchen and my Talented cook grabbed three bags of flour and threw some cougar meat in for good measure.  Resulting meal stack was worth 4k and threw me right over the 10k line.  I'm bracing for ambushes at this point - they have a tendency to mess my last-dwarves forts up pretty badly. 

It may not be a loss, though.  Civ screen shows no  gobbos yet.

This fort. It's rather old and perhaps well-known.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 03:11:21 am »

All this !!!science!!! about dwarf incest and cradle robbing is... interesting, if rather disturbing. I do respect the level of dedication that !!!science!!! requires.

However, what I really want to know is if these game rules about offspring being prevented from coupling up (i.e., incest & inbreeding) also apply to domestic animals and pets. Wouldn't such knowledge be useful in trying to breed pets? In the Dwarven Factory Farming thread:

I've heard that offspring are reluctant to Spore each other.  I'm currently working on a Sheep farm...  with, so far, a single ram.  very useful.

Can anyone verify? If so, why isn't this mentioned on the wiki yet?

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:22:17 am »

Dwarf fortress: Where the breeding patterns of alcoholic bearded midgets is a topic of serious discussion.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 04:32:34 am »

All this !!!science!!! about dwarf incest and cradle robbing is... interesting, if rather disturbing. I do respect the level of dedication that !!!science!!! requires.

However, what I really want to know is if these game rules about offspring being prevented from coupling up (i.e., incest & inbreeding) also apply to domestic animals and pets. Wouldn't such knowledge be useful in trying to breed pets? In the Dwarven Factory Farming thread:

I've heard that offspring are reluctant to Spore each other.  I'm currently working on a Sheep farm...  with, so far, a single ram.  very useful.

Can anyone verify? If so, why isn't this mentioned on the wiki yet?

It is an incorrect rumor. If you look at legends, you can see that animals don't keep track of parentage properly.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 04:47:18 am »

In order to test cradle robbing, you must do the reverse.  Dwarves which grow to adulthood in 50 years.  It might help if you tip the balance, and use burrows to force your desired pedophilia couple together.

Holy shit, did I just say that?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 04:50:36 am »

There was a Boondocks episode about prison rape.  This episode started with To Catch a Predatory.  A black man showed up at a house, and that guy (can't think of his name) showed up to reveal that it was a sting.  The black guy said "Oh I know, you're always catching sex offenders.  So I posed as a pedophile so that you'd show up, because it's you I want!"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 11:08:33 am »

I think I remember seeing something like what you guys are interested in regarding pedophilia (you creepy, creepy people, you) - a dwarven woman who was over 100 years old managed to make friends with a 10-year-old boy, but the relationship couldn't pass beyond "friends" or "close friends" until he hit 12 and reached "adulthood", and the relationship immediately went into "lovers" and then got married.

Not creepy.

Thing is, 12 is considered "adult" in every way, and I don't think there's anything that really slows down a relationship based on age so long as everyone's an "adult", although this was back in 40d, so you never know if Toady changed something without making a big announcement about it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]