Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Season Modding  (Read 466 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Season Modding
« on: February 20, 2011, 10:48:13 am »

I wanted some time ago to make a mod that had 6 seasons, with a different caravan in each.
I would like seasons to be imported to the raws.

First, you would have the year raw itself. Let's suppose we wanted to have a 360 day year, with each day taking up 1500 frames of game time.

[YEAR:360:1500]
Next, you would have the months. Let's do 18 months of 20 days each. I'll just use random stone names with no bearing on the real calendar.

[GRANITE:1:20]
[DACITE:21:40]
[LIMESTONE:41:60]
[MICROCLINE:61:80]
[ORTHOCLASE:81:100]
[SANDSTONE:101:120]
[SILTSTONE:121:140]
[MUDSTONE:141:160]
[CLAYSTONE:161:180]
[GABBRO:181:200]
[SLATE:201:220]
[SHALE:221:240]
[OBSIDIAN:241:260]
[MARBLE:261:280]
[HEMATITE: 281:300]
[MALACHITE:301:320]
[TETRAHEDRITE:321:340]
[LIMONITE:341:360]

That rounds out the year.

Now we've got to do the seasons. Unfortunately, 18 isn't divisible by 4, so we're clearly not dealing with a temperate climate! I'll deal with how this relates to climate itself- freezing and evaporating-later, but for now:

[SEASON: SPRING]
[GRANITE]
[DACITE]
[LIMESTONE]
[MICROCLINE]
[ORTHOCLASE]
[SANDSTONE]

[SEASON: SUMMER]
[SILTSTONE]
[MUDSTONE]
[CLAYSTONE]
[GABBRO]
[SLATE]
[SHALE]

[SEASON: FALL]
[OBSIDIAN]
[MARBLE]
[HEMATITE]
[MALACHITE]
[TETRAHEDRITE]
[LIMONITE]

Note that if you change the season raws, you'll also have to go into the entity raws to change the way caravans work.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Season Modding
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 10:58:55 am »

Chalk this up as another crazy thing that Toady might one day be able to put into the raws, but which he's unlikely to make a very high priority for a very long time.

Having some sort of ability to change the amount of time in a day has come up before, but making your own calendar is kind of a new one on me.  Of course, since we already have people making up whole language raws, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

One day, so much of this game will either be procedural or raw-moddable, that you won't be able to carry over an experience from one game into another game, as the laws of physics will be procedural or something.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 04:47:24 pm »

[...]the laws of physics will be procedural or something.

That would be AWESOME. -evil grin-

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:10:42 pm »

That sounds a bit familiar. Here's what I posted quite a bit ago:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't think there's a much of a need to define year length when you already define all the months anyway (though it has its uses), and I think that months only need a length, not a start day and an end day - as long as the months are defined in the correct order. Then, the seasons also only need a start day and a length (opening the potential that seasons and months do have different start days) and defining in the correct order.

It's certainly something that would come later rather than sooner, but I, too, would like it see it happen.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:45:57 am »

I like this idea.  I'm guessing seasons are defined as changes from the base temperature, so there's nothing stopping you from adding new types of seasons either.  (hard freeze, a single day every year where the temperature drops 40 degrees from the winter low).