Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lightning Fast Goblin?  (Read 1338 times)

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lightning Fast Goblin?
« on: February 23, 2011, 04:14:04 am »

I have no idea what just happened, but I think my last adventurer got his ass handed to him by some god-like goblin.

All right, I'm on a mission to go kill some Night Horror or whatever, I gather my posse of peasants and set off.  I decide to sleep till dawn before we make the last bit of the trek.  Though I'm awoken in the middle of the night by a goblin boss, wise guy I think so I get ready to hand him his ass on a pike.  Boy was I wrong, but also surprised.  I have NO idea how this happened, but the second I made a move it was like everything went in fast-forwards, the goblin boss closed the distance on me and the peasants in the blink of an eye, like he just took 20 free turns.  LITERALLY IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE he beheaded two of my peasants and impaled the others, killing them.  Without even noticing my posse was killed in a flash by this one goblin pike samurai.  I then notice my feet and legs are mangled and I'm on the ground in extreme pain, I swing my fist at the goblin because some how he has also disarmed me.  I miss and he then attacks me like EIGHT TIMES, he stabs me, impales, twists, stabs, impales, twists, kicks and punches me before I even get another shot.

He was completely unscathed, and he finished me by planting his silver pike in my adventurer's heart through my iron breastplate.

What the hell just happened?  How was he taking all those extra turns?

Kolbur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning Fast Goblin?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:52:11 am »

Read the combat log next time something like this happens. You were probably unconcious from pain when the flash forward happened. I'd guess you were hit by a bolt/arrow that caused extreme pain and knocked you out. When he was able to attack you a lot of times after you tried to punch him it was because you were a mangled heap lieing on the floor, that reduces your speed extremely.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 05:04:19 pm »

Did you take note of your speed and status?

You've got to cripple and maim this guy.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »

You said you were sleeping?
Were you still stunned and/or on the ground?
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:54 pm »

You and your meat shields were probably sleeping when he murdered all of you
Things fast forward when you are unconscious(when you are asleep it says you are unconscious)

This used to happen to me A LOT it sucks i know but i just made the habit of just sleeping over hamlets or towns when we are near one

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 12:19:18 am »

No matter how drowsy I am, I always "Wait" while out in the open.  Due to the impossible to avoid Bogeymen though, I always make very careful calculations on how far I can travel in one day...  Goblins are the least of my worries.

wolfroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:05:23 pm »

yeah, this has happened to me a surprisingly large amount of times, although once, when i was killing a creature of the night, it DID go that fast... i almost killed it but then it lightning puched me over and over (and just cuz there's probably a mod for it, no i dont mean ACTUAL lightning) i died two turns after seeing it
is it fortressing your dwarfs or dwarfing your fortress?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 10:32:40 am »

Yeah, you'd have been stunned after waking up.

As for the night creature business, it's surprisingly easy for your character to fall in and out of conciousness rapidly whilst the game plays itself.

Does this when you reload a ranged weapon too, and it sucks. I mean even a crappy bowman is capable of fitting a bow on a string in less than about 20 seconds, unlike the game would have you believe. The game also assumes you'd stand there and reload whilst someone hacked you, and you wouldn't just drop the bow and leg it. Or draw your sword.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Rallan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 11:05:26 pm »

Yeah, you'd have been stunned after waking up.

As for the night creature business, it's surprisingly easy for your character to fall in and out of conciousness rapidly whilst the game plays itself.

Does this when you reload a ranged weapon too, and it sucks. I mean even a crappy bowman is capable of fitting a bow on a string in less than about 20 seconds, unlike the game would have you believe. The game also assumes you'd stand there and reload whilst someone hacked you, and you wouldn't just drop the bow and leg it. Or draw your sword.

I think the slow rate of fire on ranged weapons is just one of those rare occasions where Toady put game balance ahead of realism. If you could fire a bow as fast as you can do melee attacks, then from the moment you get someone in line-of-sight to the moment he's close enough to hit you, you'd basically get about ten or fifteen free attacks. Fights at bandit camps would basically involve everyone on both sides who doesn't have a bow rushing forward and getting shot down before all the archers settle into a plinking match.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 06:58:36 pm »

So THAT's why crossbowmen train at the same rate as bowmen!
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H