Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: am i doing it wrong? or did i figure something out?  (Read 3000 times)

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
Re: am i doing it wrong? or did i figure something out?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 01:50:35 am »

Do it. It can't be to hard to add a reaction using cooking to the kitchen that make sugar->Rock candy...

Pun not intended, but makes me want to do it now :D
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 01:53:32 am »

I was actually thinking of historical accuracy, I think some form of candycane would be most appropriate, or some kind of taffy?  What was early candy like?

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 01:56:35 am »

Earliest?

Probably WAS rock candy.

It is basicaly sugar that was dissovled in a liquid then the liquid is allowed to evaporate, leaving behind huge crystals of sugar. These are then ground down into granules make sugar.
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 01:59:48 am »

Actually, a quick google says that the ealiest candy was fruits and nuts rolled in honey, and that sugar was expensive to produce until factories became widespread, and then hard candy was the choice for cost's sake.  So, we have honey, and fruits like wild strawberries and prickle berries, and I suppose plump helmets count as fruit?  1 Honey + 1 Fruit = 1 Common Candy.  Or 1 sugar bag + 1 bone + fuel = soft candy (ground bone makes gelatin, used in gummies and marshmallows).

Diakron

• Bay Watcher
  • Death Before Dishonor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2011, 02:07:02 am »

I don't know if I'd say that was a candy. A sweet sure, but candy rarely has anything thing other then pure sugar and flavoring in it theses days (excluding chocolates, which I'd call a sweet. Bar chocalate is different though :D)
Back to Mafia with me!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2011, 02:22:36 am »

We're talking about time-appropriate candy.  Modern gob-stoppers aren't within dwarven technology, but rolling fruit in honey is.  Either way, I've moved this particular discussion to the modding forum, so, yeah.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:09 am »

I don't understand what the point of flour and sugar are. I just grow plump helmets, sweet pods, and pig tails, shut off cooking on them, and brew them directly. I then cook all of their meat into food. The dwarves seem happy enough with that.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 05:16:04 pm »

Basically, it's value.  Meat-products are generally preferred simply for their size, as a single elephant can yield like a stack of 100+ meat or something.  But, with sweet pods...  A legendary farmer (and let's be fair, we all have one) can grow a stack of ~5 plants from one seed.  With fertilizer, this goes up to like 15-20 per seed.  Straight up, that's 2 value per plant, for 30-40☼ per planted seed.  On the other hand, if made into sugar, it has the value of 20, for a total of 300-400☼.  If made into syrup at a still, it's made into stacks of 5 syrup per plant, for 100☼ per plant, factoring up to 1500-2000☼ per planted, fertilized seed.

Now, with that in mind, a lavish meal can use 3 liquids and 1 solid.  If you use one bag of sugar, which should fit 15 units of sugar in per bag, and three syrup barrels, which are 75 syrups each.  That's 4,500☼ syrup and 300☼ sugar, for 4,700☼ worth of food.  In its base-quality state.  At Excellent quality, that's x5 for 23,500☼ for one stack of ≡Dwarven Sugar Roast[240]≡  Understandably, this can sustain a good sized fortress for quite a while, using only one stockpile square without a barrel, or can buy out the entire contents of any generic caravan.  If eaten, that exceptional value translates into happy thoughts for the dwarves.

All of this is based purely on conjecture on my part, I'll admit.  I've never actually done this, but the numbers add up and you get the idea.  Prepared meals are valuable as sin.

lowbart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 05:27:41 pm »

I'd build a temple for it...

Coincidentally, I'm fond of making walls out of coke.  It stores it away, cannot be burned or misplaced, cannot be accidentally used, and building destroyers can't touch it.  In emergency, deconstruct the wall.  I also do this with gold and steel, to lock it away until I wanna use it, but don't want it cluttering my building material selection.

That's an awesome idea and that's why I do it too :)
"Are you there, gods? It's me, Mistêm."
Quote from: Boatmurdered
Guerilla Burialgears absently tucks the child's rock into his pack and turns to leave for good; his head hung low. His words trail behind him as he disappears over the ridge. It is a haunting whisper, quickly stolen away by the wind: "All burn..."
Pages: 1 [2]